my trimmings tank lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i have a spare 10 gal that i have my betta in and i just kept throwing in my trimmings and extra from my other tanks. well after a while it got cluttered and i decided to organise it a bit. then i started using it for experiments. and well i thought i would post some pics. its a little cluttered casue i have nowhere else to put the plants after ths tank lol. here it is....

img_725970_0_a5756b0f013a70e3549d1f9aa0673666.jpg

img_725970_1_ab1eb154eba7375894ac7911cc75df97.jpg

img_725970_2_4245a9b549975362932cd61887499e31.jpg

downoi
img_725970_3_6d7c2ea4e0c071f51156ce50ce4474ef.jpg

pearling
img_725970_4_ae4270ba7831da70255bc096ae31fa58.jpg

my grumpy old betta(2 1/2 years)
img_725970_5_efe1cdffc9bc4f79567d0136d63f216d.jpg

img_725970_6_6ee9e2a329f7bef53975fb0ef5d94db6.jpg

in comparison to my 55 gal.
img_725970_7_a4a19ffff14fe15becf45c3fd2be0db0.jpg

Wow...two very good-looking tanks! Love the betta!

What's the red plant in the 10 gallon? Ludwigia brevipes? (in the back, not the red crypts)

i am not 100% sure actually. waterpond gave it to me. it looks cool but doesnt seem to grow very fast. i will have to ask him about it... thanks for the comments. i need to trim the moss a little lol.

That tank looks great, the green downoi plant with the crinkly leaves is way cool, havn't seen that one around here. When you grow some more of it any chance I can mouch some from you, love to try it!

Everyones spare tank should look that good Funk.

I wonder how that established moss wall would hold up in the 55 with the cichlids.

I'm lookin for some downoi too......anyone know a good source?

well my good source is another member on this site but he is a difficult guy to get ahold of. travis simonson.. i am sure some of u have heard of him lol. he sent me one little tiny peice and it bounced back to that nice on in the middle back aswell as sent out a runner which is infront of it. it took about a month to send out that runner though. it is extreamly slow growing but looks awesome. he is using it for his foreground right now i beleave. i will send ua peice as soon as it propogates again glen. the front one is almost ready to slit into 2. sorry it couldnt be more but one should get u started. ah and glitch... cichlids absolutly love moss. not to look at but to tear into tiny little shreds lol. i have tried moss in there before. i tried to cover that pot in the centre but they dissagreed with my scaping ideas. i only did the moss wall becase i was running out of ground area to cover lol. soon i will have to make another one for the otherside lol. its gard to tell but the left side is actually a giant cave that i covered in a moss. now it just looks like a grassy hill lol. thanks for the compliments guys. i would appreciate any suggestions u guys have aswell. oh and there is a rock on the rightside aswell under all that moss.

Thanks Mr. funk, I've got some Ammanis Senegalinsis you can check out if you have room for it! I need a new foreground plant in my 20, just removed the brazilian micro sword, gets to tall and thin, didn't really like the look. Plants in the 20 are getting old and looking a bit worn. Thinking of re-doing the whole tank, or doing a heavy duty trimming. Got to wait to see if I am moving first.

i was tempted to try some of that micro sword casue big als had some really healthy portions of it. i was thinking more about putting it off to the side in a corner so it didnt intrude in the middle of the tank though. this stuff would be no good for a forground plant for u unfortunatly becasue it would take like 3 years to fill in with only 1 peice lol. it wouls look nice if u put a few peice in the front corners though.... if u know what i mean. i am sure it will grow faster and healthier in your tank though lol. it has a very tough hard leave but i find it pears quite often and always looks briliant. i would love to try some amania if u want to send me a bit. has it made the transition from emersed yet? the palustrius is starting to grow well for me now and hasa really nice light pink colour. the sessiflora compltly died on me but now i see a few random stems starting to emerge from the substrate. tell me if u want me to send u a peice of the downoi in the next few weeks and i will.

How about I make a trip up to your place, I want to lend you the 65 wt CF anyways, plus I would rather bring and/or pick up plants in person. It's getting to cold to ship stuff. Only problem is it would probably have to be this Fri, only one I'm going to have off for while. I have alot of true crypt parva, very small, and can give you a good bit of Brazilian micro sword as well. It is a good plant and good grower, just not for a foreground in a small tank. would be good off to the side, as you suggest. Have you got enough downoi to spare a piece this Fri? If not, I can try to get up there again in a few weeks. What do you think?

Awesome tank, Mr. Funk, as others have said that's pretty nice for a "spare" tank! I have a small piece of Pogostemon that I got on Aquabid (from Lowcoaster, not sure if he has any more) and mine is just starting to get going. I'm hoping it makes it!

BTW, what kind of light do you have on that tank?

this tank has a double 14watt flourescent fixture i made. i am using the quantum bulbs that glen used to use. i love the colour from them and they seem to grow stuff reall well. i just made a hood and screwed down the endcaps... took like 10 min lol so it only has 28 watts over the 10 gal tank. it is technically only low-medium light if u use the lumens/square inch things but i still get plenty red and pearling with it. glen - i work this friday untill 5 but if u can make it up after that i have no problem with this friday. i can give u the peice that is spliting into 2 already. pm me and we can work it all out.

hey mr funk how much would you charge for a diy fixture with about 30 watts for a ten gallon i like your fixtures.

What's the red plant in the 10 gallon? Ludwigia brevipes? (in the back, not the red crypts)

It is called alternathera reineckii, goes by the name Lilacina

Here is some info about it: http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_lilacina.php

The picture on that site does not look nearly the same but this is what the tag said( i had to go rooting through my closet to find it" Mine all died in an excel dip, luckily i saves a few strands of it. Very fast grower and great colour!

The picture in there does not look the same but

thanks waterpond. it isnt growing extreamly fast for me but it growing well with nice colour. once mine grows some more i can send u back some clippings if u want.

ryan - i can get the ballas for about 25 bucks then the endcaps are 5. then 5 for wood. so 35 no bulbs but.... this fixture would be able to support up to 4 48" t-8 bulbs. so if at any time u wanted to upgrade all u have to do is make a new wood housing for it. u could go with up to 56 watts over the 10 gal. the ballast is load sensing so u can put any length of bulb in the fixture. u can put 2 15" bulbs and 2 18" if u wanted. all the ballast cost about the same so thats why i choose the 4Xt-8 one. i could buy the ballast and wire it all up for u then u could build the actual wooden hood. it would cost to much for me to ship u the whole thing unfortunatly. unless u can do a pickup... then i could build it for u.

well ill have to check in ill also look aroungd locally i dont know if i can pick up ill contact you if i decide to thanks .

thanks cz. i think my next adventure will probably be emersed growth like u are trying. should be a chalange. i just picked up a new light today and am going to set up a nano. everyone else is doin it so why not me to lol. i am going to do some more trimming and rescaping in this tank over the next few days so i will update with pics.

Back
Top Bottom