Mystery plant sprouted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I just set up a tank last week, and have yet to put anything in it. I looked in the tank this morning and there is a small plant with 2 leaves that just sprouted. Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of plant it could be? Do aquatic plants have seeds?

Thanks

that sounds like anew one to me. did u have plants in it before and one got stuck in there somehow?i dont thing that they have seeds. can u get a pic that would help alot in identifying it.

My brother (hashbaz) had a volunteer Alternanthera reineckii from a seed, so it does happen. Was this a used tank? What do you have in it?

I have used this tank before, but that was over a year ago, and I cleaned the tank out before I set it up. The substrate is a brand new bag of flourite.

its the brand new flourite. While not common, its no uncommon either to have a random plant sprout up.

its technically a terrestrial plant, so don't expect it to live long...but it might be fun to grow.

incidentally, I had a 5gallon i just setup again, with used flourite that was kept in a clean kitty litter tub, and sealed.
it had been stowed away for at least 5-6 months.
low and behold, I had 5 live snails crawl outta the flourite after I put water back in the tank, and a random sprout show up, but it only lived 2 days.
the snails are still fine. just little grey pond snails.

Back
Top Bottom