Name that algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their help thus far in my quest for a planted discus tank.

My 90 gallon tank is only about a month old. I mainly have crypts, swords, hair grass, vals and duckweed. I change about 15 gallons of water twice a week. I also have a yeast generated co2 system.

Whatever is in my tank is everywhere. It looks as though a fine brown powder has been sprinkled on everything in my tank.....plants (except the duckweed), driftwood, rocks and glass. This brown stuff seems to easily be brushed off of my plants, but it just seems to come back after a few days.

I don't think that it is cyanobacteria....I've had that before in my old tank and it was a greenish color and slimy.

Please help me! I'll answer any questions you have to help you help me out.

Sound like diatoms. It is just unsightly and usually goes away on its own. It is common on new setups.

Ottos (and a certain pleco that I cannot remember) will eat them.

If it's diatoms, don't try and get rid of it, leave it alone. It will go away on it's own. If you wipe it clean, it will just come back, and spread even more if some is floating around. It goes away quicker if left alone. Also, otos are great for getting rid of it also. They do a wonderful job.

I had the same problem and just got a Clown Pleco about 2 weeks ago and he decimated the diatoms and green algae. I was pretty amazed. Now I just have to deal with all the Pleco poop in my small 20 gal. And he hasn't taken to the glass yet, but I've read Clown Plecos are mainly bottom dwellers and that seems to be where he is when he's not cleaning my leaves and wood.

I recommend them for tanks with algae...except he hasn't really touched the red "beard" algae, but that's the easiest to remove manually.

You guys are right, definitely diatoms, definitely normal, definitely nothing to worry about or do...simply let nature run its course.

Back
Top Bottom