NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the good advice. I may consider flooding now to help speed the cycle. (Kill 2 birds w/ one stone). Will my HC anchor in AS powder? Don't want floaters.

I like the idea on the single current timer. My 7.56w Archae is a DC. Time to order. Now to get my cart over the amazon $35 free shipping!!! Hmmm. What else do I need...

Oh, I plan on getting those celestial pearl danios. Have yet to decide on algae eaters. Siamese?

Thanks for the good advice. I may consider flooding now to help speed the cycle. (Kill 2 birds w/ one stone). Will my HC anchor in AS powder? Don't want floaters.

I like the idea on the single current timer. My 7.56w Archae is a DC. Time to order. Now to get my cart over the amazon $35 free shipping!!! Hmmm. What else do I need...

Oh, I plan on getting those celestial pearl danios. Have yet to decide on algae eaters. Siamese?

HC will plant easier in the powder AS. Just have a nice pair of narrow tipped Pinsettes.

As for other things I recommend... I use a floating type breeder box when I fill my scaped tanks with water. This comes in handy when you're not trying to disturb the substrate or dislodge any of your newly planted plants. Just pour water inside the floating breeder box and the water gently flows out the slits in the side of the breeder box.
Amazon.com: Lee's Three-Way Breeder: Pet Supplies

Are you going to step into the world of dry ferts (via EI or PPS-Pro)? If so, you can add to your cart..

A digital gram scale:
Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales AWS-600-BLK Digital Personal Nutrition Scale, Pocket Size, Black: Kitchen & Dining

These graduated pipettes for easy dosing:
Plastic Transfer Pipettes 3ml, Gradulated, Pack of 100: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And you could always use Excel and Prime! Not to mention the Tetra Safe Start if you need to seed the filter.

Awesome tips Brian. I really appreciate it. Gonna slow it down and enjoy the journey if I can. Lol

Sounds good. LMK if you have any questions or need help. I'll just bust out the popcorn and observe. :)

Just arrived:

Activated carbon
Suction cups
API Fresh Water Master Test Kit
Generic Glass Diffuser
Heavy Duty Timer
Zoo Med Nano 10
Aquatek Regulator w/ Solenoid
20oz Paintball Tank
Flourish Excel, Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium
Co2 Proof Tubing

Ordered all via Amazon free shipping. Took about 10-14 days to receive.

Otw: Prime, Seachem Flourish, Phosphorous, Trace Elements,
Another 20oz co2 tank, Current USA Single Ramp Timer, Tweezers,

Yes, I ordered all the liquid ferts for the hell of it and I don't have a clue when to dose. Is this perhaps, a see it when I get there application? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393003470.364056.jpg

I believe you can use 9mm glass lily pipes with the zoo med 501's stock tubing. I'd just get some cheap ones from ebay (china/hk). Should arrive before you're done with the DSM.

Can't really chime in on the Seachem liquid fert regimen. I haven't used the full system. Just excel and flourish. But when those run out, I do highly recommend getting THIS

The concern with the glass fixtures is that the tubing to the 501 is not quite flexible when in close proximity of the tank. I don't think it was made to be placed below a nano tank. The pump may not be strong enough. I am assuming tubing is connected below the hung fixtures? I will research the fert link at work today. Thanks!

Yeah, you should really do PPS Pro. It's been working great with me, and I believe I have the same co2 regulator as you do.

Following along!

And BTW, is it necessary to have the co2 on a timer? Because that would be a huge PITA! :lol:

I'll check it out. The reason why I got the Aquatek was so I could put the co2 on a timer. Don't want to manually turn off gas before bed and turn on upon waking. I hope that's what you meant. Because that would be a pita!

Thanks for all those who are following and for allowing me to put borrowed knowledge to practice and becoming my experience!

The concern with the glass fixtures is that the tubing to the 501 is not quite flexible when in close proximity of the tank. I don't think it was made to be placed below a nano tank. The pump may not be strong enough. I am assuming tubing is connected below the hung fixtures? I will research the fert link at work today. Thanks!

I believe people overcome the rigidity of the tubing by cutting it in segments and using barbed elbow connectors. I believe the 501 can't be to far below the tank. I'll see if i can find some examples for you.

Week one of DSM in the books! What I have observed:
1. Sealing tank 100% with plastic wrap with no air flow is incorrect. need air flow to prevent mold. I think I caught it early.
2. HM losing all immersed leaves and growing emersed leaves at most nodes. I thought it was a goner.
3. HC is starting to take root and I see there is new growth at some nodes. Perhaps runners on their mark?
4. SR is growing like a weed. Must have been an emersed specimen.

Overall, as much as I want to flood, I'm really enjoying the DSM. can't wait to see what grows tomorrow! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393509067.596788.jpg

Week one of DSM in the books! What I have observed:
1. Sealing tank 100% with plastic wrap with no air flow is incorrect. need air flow to prevent mold. I think I caught it early.
2. HM losing all immersed leaves and growing emersed leaves at most nodes. I thought it was a goner.
3. HC is starting to take root and I see there is new growth at some nodes. Perhaps runners on their mark?
4. SR is growing like a weed. Must have been an emersed specimen.

Overall, as much as I want to flood, I'm really enjoying the DSM. can't wait to see what grows tomorrow! View attachment 225014

What is the reason for a dry start?? I'd be itching to get it filled and cycling!!

Back
Top Bottom