NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the water at the bottom of tank is cycling. When flooding occurs, I believe the ammonia from the Aqua Soil will be depleted from water changes and through the bacteria in substrate. cycling won't take long.

I think the water at the bottom of tank is cycling. When flooding occurs, I believe the ammonia from the Aqua Soil will be depleted from water changes and through the bacteria in substrate. cycling won't take long.

Hmmmm but you need to build up beneficial bacteria in your filter. Is your filter in use?? The bacteria only stays in the water in very small numbers

What is the reason for a dry start?? I'd be itching to get it filled and cycling!!

The objective for a DSM is to allow plants to successfully root and grow before flooding the tank. This works well for carpeting plants that are shallow rooters and can easily be uprooted. It also boosts plant mass which results in smaller quantities of algae post flood.

The objective for a DSM is to allow plants to successfully root and grow before flooding the tank. This works well for carpeting plants that are shallow rooters and can easily be uprooted. It also boosts plant mass which results in smaller quantities of algae post flood.

Ah right im with you. Thanks

Hmmmm but you need to build up beneficial bacteria in your filter. Is your filter in use?? The bacteria only stays in the water in very small numbers

Filter is not in use. DSM. Thought the bacteria is in substrate and bio media. I'm assuming most bacteria would be in substrate. Someone correct me or both of us.

Filter is not in use. DSM. Thought the bacteria is in substrate and bio media. I'm assuming most bacteria would be in substrate. Someone correct me or both of us.

I think you do get a lot on substrate too but im under the impression your relied upon bacteria colony is in your filter

You would be surprised how much bacteria is in the substrate...I switched to Eco from sand a year ago and I went trough a mini cycle. I have since switched to ADA Aquasoil, which I feel is a superior substrate to the other commercial products.

Day 13 HC

Today:

Dwarf pennywort
Pogostemon helferi

Expecting a delivery today.

Photo tomorrow with new plants!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394029585.944690.jpg

Last night I planted dwarf pennywort and two pots of leafless hell fires. The DP arrived pristine while the beat up hell fires came with a bonus ludwigia repens. (Not gonna put that weed in my tank and let it cloud over my HC!) Ok, I know it's a cool plant but I'm not going to contaminate my planned layout just because it was free unless someone can convince me otherwise. Anyways, I planted the hell fire roots and believe they will survive and sprout new leaves. Just a matter of time.... Has anyone emersed Dwarf penny wort? I ask because I will be heading to Atlanta for 3 days and concerned that my plants won't receive the proper misting/humidity and dry out. Any suggestions? I may consider flooding the tank if I have to. Also, I'm curious what the evap rate is on a 4.6g tank. Chime in if you know. Perhaps, I can leave it off until I come. Decisions, decisions.... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394081802.246162.jpg

^^ nice! So what are you going to do about going away for a few days? I "think" it should be fine to continue DSM while you're gone. Just add a little extra water and seal the plastic.

Thanks guys. Going to continue to DSM while away. Perhaps, a lil too attached to my green friends. Also, I plan on taking the plunge to flood on 3/15/14 which will give me 4 solid months of supervised running before my summer vacay. Hopefully, I will have all parameters stable but from what I've read, submerging comes with obstacles of their own. Btw, my wife thinks I'm weird. Maybe I should stop staring at my motionless tank with just my boxers on.

Sounds like a good plan... that's hilarious about your wife. Next time she walks in on you staring at the tank, you should pretend to be talking to it, too.

Lol. I'm afraid she's already heard me...

Just got home from dinner and was able to catch the final 15 minutes of light before the current ramp timer that you had suggested, put my joy to rest.

Finally free tomorrow and have all day to research about flora and fauna!

Back
Top Bottom