Natural hiding places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, Mr.waffles here, got a quick question. im planning on getting some otos soon, and am told they need ALOT of hiding places. thing is, i dont want plastic rubbish. id like some thing alot more natural, using stuff like rocks and plants and driftwood. anyone have any ideas for caves, walls, trenches, etc? plz post pics if you can...

Wat i would do is put driftwood n and lay a few rocks leaning against it n around it, they will burrow n move gravel to make caves

You could look into making slate caves .... you just need pieces of slate and silicone ... the rest is up to you. You could get pretty elaborate or simple, but either way it's a great way to make caves to your liking.

You could buy ornament caves ... and some are nice ... but what you buy is what you get. Making slate caves gives you a lot of freedom to do multiple tiers, terraces etc....

i didnt know otts needed lots of hiding places,but theres a ton of java moss in my tank that they can hide in

Cichildlife said:
Wat i would do is put driftwood n and lay a few rocks leaning against it n around it, they will burrow n move gravel to make caves

What? Ottos don't burrow IME. Ya heavily planted tank will be sufficient for them :) can I ask what u have in Ur tank?

My otos are usually either on the wall of the tank or under the driftwood. I have a heavily planted tank with Java moss, Java ferns, more anacharis than I care for, anubia nanas, a banana plant and a few other types that I cant remember right off the top of my head.

Mine like to "blend in" on my larger plants. I also ahve slate and terra cotta pots. They seem to hang out on the pots more than on the slate. Of course, if you are going for natural, terra cotta doesn't quite fit the bill.;)

I recently made a cave out of slate pieces. I'm into the natural look too. I made a retaining wall and put gravel behind it to make another level, then made a cave out to the side. The plan is to have plants too but I haven't gotten any yet.

I recently made a cave out of slate pieces. I'm into the natural look too. I made a retaining wall and put gravel behind it to make another level, then made a cave out to the side. The plan is to have plants too but I haven't gotten any yet.
That looks great! I love the look of slate in tank.

Very nice! It gives the tank that little hideaway for the fish. And .. building a retaining wall is a nice touch. Gives me some ideas as well.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Hi guys, Mr.waffles here, got a quick question. im planning on getting some otos soon, and am told they need ALOT of hiding places. thing is, i dont want plastic rubbish. id like some thing alot more natural, using stuff like rocks and plants and driftwood. anyone have any ideas for caves, walls, trenches, etc? plz post pics if you can...

I have otocincluss and they have to mu favorite cleaner fish. They travel at a mild speed when they move. I have alot of driftwood and plants and i dont give them any special treatment. They do just fine under the blades of my amazon sword plants and etc...i wouldnt worry too much on what hidding places to make. Just make your aquascape and they will find the corners they like. Heck, mine are not affraid of being out in the open at all. Even with all 216w of t5ho's (lights)on them. Get a nice school of about 5-6 and you wont be let down. Amazing workers for cleaner fish.

I was thinking of using something like pvc pipe and gluing gravel all over it with aquarium sealant or something aquarium safe (btw is hot glue aquarium safe when dried?) Then like half burying it in the gravel.for a little gravel cave looking thing

Back
Top Bottom