Natural indirect sunlight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmilyA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I picked up a large 8g bowl from an estate sale and want to turn it into a shrimp bowl. I'd like to keep it on my desk by the window, would it be possible to light with the indirect sunlight through the window? Or do you think that would cause algae to go on a field day? I plan on it being heavily planted (Walstad) and dosed with liquid CO2. Some of your thoughts would be appreciated!

A lot of shrimp keepers won't use liquid carbon with their shrimp. Some only use it half strength. Some on another forum I frequent say their female shrimp were only berried once they quit using it. (They were talking specifically about Neocaridinia shrimp.)

Liquid carbon is a reducing agent, but it's not CO2. The active ingredient is Glutaraldehyde. Any reducing agent has the potential to reduce available oxygen in the tank. I'd be particularly concerned about the use of liquid carbon in a bowl with no surface agitation.

I've just read too many posts from people talking about shrimp colonies wiped out, and fish gasping at the surface to use it. All my tanks are very low tech - I dose Flourish Comprehensive, API Leaf Zone and use root tabs for my crypts, vals and swords, but I don't use liquid carbon. My plants are doing fine.

Okay thank you, that's good to know. I would like to try and keep the bowl just completely natural and avoid using a sponge filter if possible. I will have to read up on the products you mentioned. :)

Is there anyway you could post a pic of your bowl? I would love to see it!

Sure! :) Here are the photos I took of it. The sketchpad it is sitting on is 14" x 17" if that gives you an idea of the size. I picked it up because I've always wanted a shrimp bowl and the glass is very thick!

Attachments

• bowl1.jpg
    bowl1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 70
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom