Natural light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
I saw an awesome tank designed specifically for betta's that comes with built in dividers. However, the lid is plain glass, no lighting. I could buy a separate light that sits on the glass, but those can get expensive, so what I was wondering was whether or not low-light plants, such as anubias, can grow from the natural light coming from a window. The tank wouldn't be on the window sill or anything, but I have a large window in my room that takes up about 1/3 of the wall, and faces south so gets a lot of sunlight. My room is very bright-lit without my lights turned on. Would this be enough for, say, anubias or java fern?

Hello Humm...

I'd say if the room is bright and stays that way for several hours, the plants should be fine. Any of the dark green aquatic plants should do pretty well in nothing more than bright room light. I keep the types of plants you're talking about underneath floating plants and they'll grow slowly, but stay healthy. All they need is a steady light source and a lot of pure, treated tap water to replace minerals they need for good health. A few fish fed a good diet will supplement the plants' diet nicely.

Give it a go.

B

If it comes down to it you could buy clip on shop lights for your tank. About $10 each and they work just fine. Just aren't the most beautiful thing around

Back
Top Bottom