Natural look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

I took a trip up to the Tennessee aquarium today and I was interested in the plants more than usual. I want to make my tank (20 high) look and feel more natural. It seems so artificial right now and for the past several months. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416803523.879419.jpg

I have some Christmas/Java moss tied to the rock work. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416803549.498618.jpg

I also have a golden pothos growing out of the aquaclear. I just put it in today and I'm hoping I can eventually put the vine into the tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416803633.847882.jpg

Tennessee aquarium is one of my most favorite places ever. Of course, I went into full critic mode when I was looking at the planted tanks, but I love all the native fish.

It looks good, you are off to a good start.

Hello all,

I took a trip up to the Tennessee aquarium today and I was interested in the plants more than usual. I want to make my tank (20 high) look and feel more natural. It seems so artificial right now and for the past several months. View attachment 256467

I have some Christmas/Java moss tied to the rock work. View attachment 256468

I also have a golden pothos growing out of the aquaclear. I just put it in today and I'm hoping I can eventually put the vine into the tank.
View attachment 256469

Great start,will be keeping up w/the progression of your setup...

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Thanks guys!:) I feel like there's so much missing on the left side.

I'll see if my mom will let me order some foreground plants. Maybe downoi or star repens. And maybe some Val,rotala rotundifolia or bacopa.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417198128.610395.jpg

This one leaf has been yellowing over the past few days. Is this normal with pothos when they're in a new environment?

Just remove that leaf. Pothos will grow roots in the water and can live almost indefinatly that way. however the leaves that are under the water will rot. Down here in Fla you find it planted beside a tree where it will climb up and form a huge vine with leaves a foot and a half across at least..I like your tank ..Alison

Well to anyone that's still following, I am getting a plant package sometime soon. Hopefully it can fill in my tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418762481.487539.jpg
Star. Repens

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418762544.138025.jpg
Bulb plants. Dwarf lily, red tiger lotus and aponogeton bulbs.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418762607.292347.jpg
Rotala rotundifolia
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418762664.679361.jpg
Downoi
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418762740.150479.jpg
FTS

Thanks to jetakockey my tank is looking a million times better!:) I need to remix my DIY co2 bottle so these plants can flourish.

Thanks again David!

My firemouth has been uprooting a lot of stuff. Is there anything I can do to stop or bring it down a bit?

All I would know to do is put weights on each stem, maybe try to leave an open spot for him to dig in. Although I'm sure he won't get the memo.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you:)

I'm having a lot of algae/diatom growth. I'm not really sure which one. It's HARD to get off. I'm doing a 15g water change right now. Hopefully it'll go away. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419210362.206557.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419210376.112048.jpg

Well I got some money for Christmas!:) I will be getting a 55g. I'm upgrading all my tanks, so this will all be moved to the 36g!!
I found a huge rock in the yard and I'm hoping I can work it in the new scape.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419546623.268583.jpgHere it is compared to a lid to a 5g bucket.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419546903.122580.jpgthe bulbs are growing rapidly! There's a new leaf about every three days or so.:)I'm excited to see them fully grown.

I might need to add a third cfl clamp light. I'm definitely adding a powerhead because I don't want any dead spots.

Well I got some money for Christmas!:) I will be getting a 55g. I'm upgrading all my tanks, so this will all be moved to the 36g!!
I found a huge rock in the yard and I'm hoping I can work it in the new scape.
View attachment 259281Here it is compared to a lid to a 5g bucket.
View attachment 259282the bulbs are growing rapidly! There's a new leaf about every three days or so.:)I'm excited to see them fully grown.

I might need to add a third cfl clamp light. I'm definitely adding a powerhead because I don't want any dead spots.

Why add even more light to a system suffering algae as it is? Your just asking for even more problems.

When algae strikes usually people lower light intensity or duration

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom