Need a new light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, i want to plant my 10gal but i can't seem to find a resonably priced light fixture(free-40bucks, lol) I want tube flourecents or compact flourecent lighting. Any suggestions, also links where you can but them would be great!, TIA

Buy the screw in CF bulbs at Walmart. You can put in 10, 15, or 20 W bulbs. If you actually want more than that you're going to end up spending a good deal more money though.

I just managed to find a Current orbit hood with a 40W dual daylight and a 40W dual actinic for $60, but the chances of getting something like that for cheaper are pretty slim. Check ebay often and keep an eye on the classifieds.

You can always try multiple 13W CF bulbs as well. Two lighting kits from AH supply would get you where you want to be, but at the same time you won't be under $40.

Oh, and if you ask them when ordering, they will probably swap out the 50/50 bulb for a better grow bulb.

It has been awhile since I used a 10g... Will a 24" hood fit? I think the Coralife legs can be adjusted down to 20"... but I would check before buying if that is a problem...

JEBO's have inconsistant quality. Many have ordered them and had absolutely no problems, while others have reported having considerable problems and having to do mods on the fixture to make it work tolerably.

Waterpond, a SW hood will probably be ok for you. Just consider that the Actinic (blue) light is do nothing for your plants, and the other light is probably a higher K light meant for SW corals, etc. Replacing the lights would be better for your plants. though I think 110w for a 10g would be serious overkill.

Jebo and Odyssea are I believe the same thing. Jebo is the old name, Odyssea is the new name. Aquatraders.com is their only dealer in the USA. You will see many units on sale on Ebay of these two names because they are by far the least expensive out there.

I have a 48" Odyssea T5 hood, and I hate it, would not recommend it to anyone (you can find my review in the products area), but I have heard much better success with the PC hoods.

Well, thanks for all of your help but i did something totally different. I went out and bought a reptile heat lamp for like 6 bucks, then i have a ten dollar 23w CF bulbs and screwd one in, the lamp has a clamp, so it works perfectly. I have it clamped to the self above my tank. I think it will work out ok. thanks for all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom