Need Advice - Lighting Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinokath

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Need some advice. Looking at starting a planted tank, actually converting my boring plastic plant tank to planted.

I have the cheap lights that you get at Petsmart for $25. I have a 55G tank.

I was looking at a 2 light Nova X2 T5 HO for a total of about 2watts per gallon. Anyone out there have any experience with this particular brand of light and/or model? Here's a link to exactly what I am looking at:

48" Nova X2 T-5 Fixture 2x54W FW: Aquarium Supplies - Aqua Buys

The price is right where I need it to be to get it past my SWMBO. I know there are much more expensive lights out there, but I am trying to do the conversion for less than $500 total (-ish).

Also need to get a CO2 system, but that is another post! Actually, I think I have what I need at the same site at a great price:

Deluxe Automatic CO2 Injection System v2.0: Aquarium Supplies - Aqua Buys

I have a line on a new aluminum 10lb CO2 tank for $60 shipped (eBay cashback in a NICE THING!).

A little more than I want to spend total, but I have had some VERY bad luck with plants in the past and after reading ALOT, realized I was missing a few very important things: light and CO2. Hard to make it work nicely without those two things.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Dean

I have 2 current USA Nova T5HO fixtures, both have worked great. If you set them right on the glass instead of using the legs, you may need to add a fan for cooling. I hooked up a 2" AC cooling fan for about 6 bucks and it works great.

FYI on the co2, you can set up a similar system for less. Check out eseasongear seller on ebay. They have a good price on a combined SMS122 pH controller and MA957 regulator/needle valve/selenoid/bubble counter.

Thanks Fort! How did you position the fans? Can you send a quick pic?

I couldn't find your seller on eBay, but what I really liked about this CO2 kit is that it had the reactor included, and a pretty good one from what I have read.

yeah, that is def. a snazzy reactor.

Milwaukee SMS122+MA957 / pH Controller + CO2 Regulator - eBay (item 280161981087 end time Apr-02-09 20:12:56 PDT)

Thats the link for both. You could build a reactor that will do the same thing for about $20 or so. But again, it is not a bad package. Price is right about there for the 3 main items.

I dont have a pic of it handy, but I just wired the AC powered computer fan to a plug, and it sits on a angle on the back of the tank so it blows under the lights across the surface of the glass.

Free shipping over $175 on my first link. Great setup there from ebay! I think I will do some looking around for a DIY reactor. Thanks!!

Yeah, but I am not too sure about the size of the reactor. It is made to handle up to 500 gallons. My tank, at least the first tank I am going to set up, is 55. It would be nice to have a system I could 'grow into' though. I am glad you pointed out that supplier. I am going to look around there. Thanks again!

That looks like a great deal on the lights as well! I thought the fixture and lights together would have been far more expensive. May I ask, at 2 wpg, is CO2 neccessary or merely beneficial?

I would say it is probably not a necessity, but the plants will def. benefit from it.

With no CO2 it would just be a matter of dosing the proper ferts I suppose? I know the DIY co2 for a 55 is said to be really inefficient, but if the light never got any stronger, perhaps a DIY would still be useful?

Yes on the ferts. You may not have to dose all the macros, but I bet at least 1 or 2 of the macros will eventually bottom out.

DIY CO2 on a 55 gal can work...

FWIW, I have 2 wpg on my 55 and CO2 is not necessary. It does help a little (I had DIY CO2 on the tank before) but definitely not required. I think that light will do just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions all. I'm excited to see how Dinokath's system works out!
I lack the courage and may try to run that double nova fixture with only one bulb till I'm ready to up the challenge level. I feel I should start with low light as a beginner, but don't want to have to buy another fixture 6 months later when I'm ready to upgrade.

That light will give you more than 2 watts per gallon equivalent. The per gallon wattage is based on T12s, and T5s are much more efficient so the eqivalency is probably about ~3 watts per gallon. Whether you need that much light depends on what types of plantsyou wish to grow. I am growing a variety of plants in a 30 gallon with the same footprint as a 55 with one T8 of 32 watts, and no reflector (the tube just sits across the tank with the top uncovered. I harvest enough plants to sell (Vals and sag mostly) but I also have E compacta, E. latifolius, and E tenellus growing in there as well as L. sessiflora, which is getting out of hand. The Vals, which I believe are spiralis grow like crazy, so that I have to remove about 50 every 2 months or so.

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I'll definitely use only one of the bulbs until I'm ready to create Wild Kingdom. Do you think it will be safe having an empty socket in my potential double light fixture?

Apologies to everyone if I derailed this thread. It was my original intent to add to the discussion. I'll get the hang of this forum netiquette thing soon I promise!

No worries Squid. Hope to get it all set up by the end of April. Taking my time in selecting the right parts (at the right price of course!). I got some REALLy great advice on the CO2 system from this discussion! Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom