Need advice on layout for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. Here is a shot of my tank.

I just purchased some Moneywort and Scarlet Temple. As I stare at the tank, I can't really decide where I want to put it. I was thinking Scarlet up front far left to cover the weir a bit and the Moneywort centered, little to the right in front of the big stump but BEHIND the front piece of drift wood. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 104
Scarlet Temple can get really big. That at the side and rear might be alright.

Make sure to plant each stem separately with some space in between to let the light get to the bottom of each stem, and room to grow. Also much of it is grown above water, not under water so do not be surprised if you see it takes some time for the leaves to adapt to under the water.

Same with the Moneywort, a little separation between. Mine likes floating too. It is a great color and finer liik to it I might do a little to the rear of the log at the right. Move the Stump/log to a 1/3rd position and give a little space at the right edge at the side for some stems and a few at the rear/back to the left of the stump.

Pretty good. I like the stump/log and I would move the ones directly in front to behind it or to the right so you can see it better. My vision might not be yours ;) You get to see it every day. Make how you like to see it.

My intention was to put most in behind along the back wall. However, I am currently to lazy to move the stump. It is only 1.5-2" off back glass and there is not enough substrate to hold the plants down.

Over time I think it will fill in the void in the front between the two pieces of drift wood. Should be nice. I am going to pick up some more substrate and relocate a bunch of plants along the back and thin out the ones in the front. Waiting for current plants to get established. Still have to replant a few a day as there are being lifted out of the dirt.

@Autumnsky our visions are similar. Just execution is going to take awhile ?

Nice. Also as for your light availability sometimes not enough light at the back too, something else to think about.

I had a small tank with kind of lower light and could only grow DHG in the almost middle under the light, not really towards the front where I really wanted it bit it did grow in the center. So I was pretty happy with it anyway.

Sometimes adjustments need to be made or wait as you are doing until it is a good or better time, or you can get what you want. Tanks rarely ever stay exactly the same forever.

With people who love trying more challenging things or staying or going back to something that actually works for the tank - plants and aqua critters come and go or get upgraded. What makes it fun.

But I REALLY love the tree stump! An excellent piece for a tank. It looks amazing just sitting there.

Just thought I would update. Plants are healthy. I acquired some vallesneria?? I believe. It was long, around 24+" some of it. I trimmed it to get rid of the bad ends and broken from transport. Hope it will work out. I am thinking of repositioning the Moneywort but haven't decided where to yet. Back right corner? Here's a short video of the setup now.

You can trim a little at a time stem by stem off as the broken ones are replaced by fresh ones. It is a general rule to trim only 1/3rd at a time. Unless there is a specific issue, like dying leaf, covered algae, broken...etc.

Generally the longest plant would be planted to the back. Layering textures and colors for variety.

Just thought I would update. Plants are healthy. I acquired some vallesneria?? I believe. It was long, around 24+" some of it. I trimmed it to get rid of the bad ends and broken from transport. Hope it will work out. I am thinking of repositioning the Moneywort but haven't decided where to yet. Back right corner? Here's a short video of the setup now.
jeffruth...I cant get the video. You are off to a great start, agree with Autumnsky I love the stump!

Ok. Here is a shot of my tank.

I just purchased some Moneywort and Scarlet Temple. As I stare at the tank, I can't really decide where I want to put it. I was thinking Scarlet up front far left to cover the weir a bit and the Moneywort centered, little to the right in front of the big stump but BEHIND the front piece of drift wood. Thoughts?
I love your stump! Was that something you came across yourself?

Jeff. I really like your selection of fish, Rams & Columbians. Once the plants take off you truly will have a show tank. I'm a hardscape guy, I also see even more potential for your set up with future additions of a few taller mid sized rocks strategically placed to protrude through the gaps in your aqua garden.

Morning. Yes, the drift wood and stump are from a lake 400kms north of me. We were on summer vacation and camped at the lake, Kinbasket, for a few days. There was drift wood everywhere. Me and the kids hiked around looking at different pieces. The stump just stood out so had to have it.

I also upgraded my lighting. I believe I am running 189watts of light which puts me at 2w/gal. I have 2 T8s 42", a T6 compact dual 48", and a LED with multiple colour ranges in it. No shadows anywhere in the tank. CO2 is rockin. I was watching the Vallisneria "pearl" yesterday. Half the leaves were bubbling (which I assume is O2 bubbles)

https://youtu.be/K6V9UXZHODA

Here is the video again. Hope it works this time.

Spent the night re working the tank. Moved the Moneywort around and rehomed the scar temple. Not sure what to do with the ST but it's in there for now.

Added a couple root tabs in the Val. Trimmed a few leaves that were rotting.

Enjoyed it.

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 53
Here is my Nitrate test. This is 8 days after any maintainence on the tank. Looking at the sheet it is looking like 20ppm+, but not 40ppm. Stoked with the result. 0 Ammo, O Nititres, 20-25ppm Nitrates.

Attachments

• IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 49
Val Sprout

Found this in the tank. Is it a new plant starting?

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 34
This thing is growing like crazy. Must be a happy plant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 39
The previous picture of the plant was on saturday. It more then doubled in 2.5days

Back
Top Bottom