Need Advice on When to Change Subtrate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on removing my flourite subtrate and replacing it with ADA Aquasoil in my 29 gallon tank. I have the aquasoil, along with powersand and I already know exactly how I am going to do it.

I'll remove the fish and place them in a bucket with an airstone and maybe a heater if needed. I will then drain my tank, sucking up as much mulm as I can. I intend to purchase a couple more buckets today so I can save enough of my old water. I will then remove the flourite, clean the tank. Once the tank is empty, I will add the powersoil and then cover with some mulm, then add the aquasoil. I'm not sure if I should clean out my filter (XP2), I'd like to remove the filtration pad and replace it, unless it would be better for the fish to leave it in case of a mini cycle, anyone?

After the all the soil is in, I will add back half of the original water and then fill the rest with fresh water. How does this sound? Anything else I should or shouldn't do?

Now, I have ordered more plants, from a couple of different places because I plan on packing the tank as much as I can, my tank is moderately planted now. Should I wait until I have all the plants first before I change the subtrate? I can do it next Saturday, as long as the plants come this week?

I also just added another bulb to my tank, I was running 1 65 watt bulb 10,000K/6700K daylight sunpag. I have a Current dual 2x65 watt satelittle fixture. I'd like to know if I should wait until I change my tank over with soil and plants before upping the lighting or should I start now?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Linda

Don't clean the filter. I don't know anything about the substrate you are speaking of, but is there a reason to add mulm back to the tank?

I would turn on the second strip only when you have a steady CO2 source and ferts ready to go in the tank. That can be before or after the switch over. The rest of your plan sounds good. I would not clean the filter at this time either.

I would just use fresh water.. The water column has nothing thats beneficial in it (that can't be replaced).. I moved from my 75 -> 120Gal and used no water from my 75.. Chances are the new substrate is going to alter the water chemistry anyway..

I also cleaned the filters, but did NOT replace the Bio. media.. Everything is good. If you are planting the tank (I think that's safe to assume) then you shouldn't have to worry too much about the cycle.

rich311k said:
I would turn on the second strip only when you have a steady CO2 source and ferts ready to go in the tank. That can be before or after the switch over. The rest of your plan sounds good. I would not clean the filter at this time either.

I already have pressurized CO2 running in this tank and adding ferts, this tank has been running for almost a year and a half. I will turn on the new bulb then and add a little more ferts, i.e., upping my KNO3 and Phosphate, etc.

One more thing though, should I wait until I have all the new plants I ordered here and ready to add to the tank before I switch the soil? They should be coming later this week, I bought a lot of plants, I think a little more than I needed, but I'll just weed out the ones that are growing well after I know my tank is balanced again.

I like the idea of adding clean water too, thought that would make better sense, I really didn't think there was anything beneficial in the water itself.

It's going to be pretty much an all day Saturday project, so I want to make sure I do everything right and if it mean waiting one more week until all the new plants come, that's fine with me!

Fishyfanatic, the reason for adding mulm back in the tank from one that has been established is to benefit the fish by trying to prevent a mini cycle with amonia and nitrites peaking. All that goopy stuff is actually very beneficial!

Thanks for all your advice!

No need to add the mulm, the filter will have all the beneficial bacteria you need. I would wait for your plants to come in and then change the substrate and replant. Why do it twice.

Good luck, I am looking forward to pictures.

I already purchased the Power Sand, but if I add the power sand, I shouldn't have to dose the tank for a few weeks, isn't that correct? Thanks for the tip on the carbon, I wasn't aware of that.

I will probably just wait until the plants come in then, I have a couple of different shipements coming so there's a lot of plants and cuttings and it might just create less work if I do it all at once then.

Many folks that I talk to that use both PS and AS, sugest that by using PS you can avoid dosing for the first 6 months or so. I only use the AS and found that dosing was necesary under high light.
You probably should have the new lighting ready, but don't need to turn on the full nuke lighting for a week or so after set up. Give your plants a chance to get over the shock of replanting. This will stave off any potential algae problems.
The thing aobut using some old water, mulm, not cleaning your filter, etc. They may or may not be strictly needed. They however will not hurt, and they might even help. As for Carbon, IMO that would counter some of why you are goin with AS/PS to begin with. When I set up my 72 (which wasa move from a 55 with gravel), I did pretty much axactly as you had outlined above. No spike, no fish loss, and immediate ultra plant growth.
As for plants, and other "scape" items. I think it is best to have them ready to go on day one. Might as well start off setting the tank up the way you want it to look.

Here is one of the posts that I think may be relevant to this conversation, again on Tom's board where he suggests using carbon/zeolite when replaces your substrate with AS:

http://www.barrreport.com/general-p...uasoil-established-tank.html?highlight=carbon

EDIT: I am sure that there are lots of ways to do this successfully. I have avoided AS because of the issues it makes with your water column, but it will be the substrate in my next tank... Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

Thank you Zezmo, good point on having all the plants ready so I can set it up to me liking, so I think I'll wait then, it will give me another week to get prepared.

I have already started to use both lights and added a little more ferts. I think I may put both lights on seperate timers and start off by running one light for the first few hours and then have both lights turn on for the period between 11:00 - 3:00 pm and then have the second one turn back off again, I'm hoping this will cut down on any algea problems the extra amount of light may cause. Just a thought for now.

Well it looks like I'm waiting one more week then! I can hardly stand the excitment of adding the AS to my tank, I see how it's effecting the plants in my 10 gallon where I have had this soil for a good 6 months now.

Yes, I know that mulm can benefit a tank with established bacteria. But unless it is a requirement for your substrate (nothing surprises me these days with products), skip it. As long as your filters are established you are fine.

Back
Top Bottom