Need better lighting for my 29 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I have an Aqueon 29 gallon kit with the hood and light and everything, and I just added some plants the other day, but they don't seem to be doing super well (I do see SOME growth though). I assume this is because the lamp that came with the tank doesn't put out a whole lot of light.

I've read the basic light FAQ in the sticky topic, and am thinking I need between 1.5 and 2 wpg. Right now I have probably somewhere around .5 wpg :facepalm:

I guess what I need help with is finding the right light for a tall 29 gallon tank. The hood is 30 inches wide and the slot for light is 30"x4.5". I'm looking for something between 50 and 65 watts and want to spend as little as possible without getting something that will crap out in a year.

The faq said I should buy from hellolights, is that still relevant? Thanks, I'm really new to the lighting thing and you guys really know your stuff :)

Oh and as for plants, I have Amazon Sword plants and Wisteria Plants in the tank now. What are some other easier plants that aren't too messy and will work well in the tank this size with the lighting I'll have?

EDIT: I took out my bulb to see what I have exactly. It's a 20W fluorescent bulb, 8000k.

EDIT2: What is the difference between white and blue bulbs? Do I specifically need one or the other or can I get one of each in my fixture?

EDIT3: Will something like this work? http://www.fishneedit.com/30quot-2bulbs-fixtu302.html
I will probably overnight it because my plants are really in need.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom