Need help between choosing 2 plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to get either Myriophyllum mattogrossense or Hottonia palustris but I want to know which one is the most easier to grow and one which I will have very little difficultly to grow

For lighting I have 2 light each 30 watts each

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I want to get either Myriophyllum mattogrossense or Hottonia palustris but I want to know which one is the most easier to grow and one which I will have very little difficultly to grow

For lighting I have 2 light each 30 watts each

Thanks

I would go with the first one.
More info:
myriophyllum mattogrossense
Hottonia palustris

Hi thanks for the reply i had a look at those two website before posting this but on that website it says that Myriophyllum mattogrossense is harder to grow and more difficult but then on the tropica website it says its easy which is why i dont have a clue on which one to get out of these 2

also lighting wise am i alright?

My takeaway from the first link: "This Myriophyllum is perhaps one of the easiest to grow".
"This stem plant is an excellent candidate for non-CO2, moderately lit aquaria where it will still grow healthy, large, green whorls. It is not too fussy about NO3 and PO4 levels."
Can you provide more details about your lighting? Are they fluorescent tubes? Power compact? There should be details printed on the bulb itself near one of the ends. It will provide size (T10/T8/T5), wattage, and color (that is the something-thousand number ending with a "K"). Ideally you want to use 6700K but I believe anywhere from 5000K-8000K should be okay.
What is the height and size/volume of your tank?

My takeaway from the first link: "This Myriophyllum is perhaps one of the easiest to grow".
"This stem plant is an excellent candidate for non-CO2, moderately lit aquaria where it will still grow healthy, large, green whorls. It is not too fussy about NO3 and PO4 levels."
Can you provide more details about your lighting? Are they fluorescent tubes? Power compact? There should be details printed on the bulb itself near one of the ends. It will provide size (T10/T8/T5), wattage, and color (that is the something-thousand number ending with a "K"). Ideally you want to use 6700K but I believe anywhere from 5000K-8000K should be okay.
What is the height and size/volume of your tank?

Yeah I had a look at the details on the tube but I couldn't get the K and other details as much of the details are rubbed off but I know it's F30 watts and if says daylight deluxe and it's a halogen bulb I don't know if any of this helps

I don't know about the height but it's a 200 litre tank and the plant I'm going to be buying is invitro so it won't be a full plant as of yet

Thanks

Those sound like a pair of 30 watt T12 36" fluorescent tubes as opposed to halogen bulbs. Regardless, most likely the result will be the upper end of low light or the lower end of medium light (just a guess since in have no clue on the height). It might be okay for the lesser demanding of the two plants.
As for in-vitro, do you mean tissue culture plants packaged small clear containers in gel with very little water? I think their light demands are the same as the fully aquatic forms.

Those sound like a pair of 30 watt T12 36" fluorescent tubes as opposed to halogen bulbs. Regardless, most likely the result will be the upper end of low light or the lower end of medium light (just a guess since in have no clue on the height). It might be okay for the lesser demanding of the two plants.
As for in-vitro, do you mean tissue culture plants packaged small clear containers in gel with very little water? I think their light demands are the same as the fully aquatic forms.

How can you tell what the bulbs are from the details I have given you?
Also on the tube it says halogen bulbs so I don't know if they fluorescent bulb. Which one is better t8 or t12 sorry I don't know much about lighting these are the stock bulbs that came with the tank and been getting the same ones since.

As for the height of the tank i'll measure it and let you know. So you suggest getting the Myriophyllum mattogrossense then the other plant.

Yes that's what I mean so will those plant be fine then?

Any help?
Also the height is 40 cm or maybe a bit more to the light and the substrate

Hello? Can someone please help me?

Not me... You might want to do more research on the web about the plants and your lights.

As to the bulbs you might find some facts.

For the plants, lots of opinions and probably conflicting in some cases.

Every now and then you just need to try something on your own and see what works for you. Take a chance.

Get a sample of both plants and see how each of them does in your tank.

I have had a look on like but I don't know what is true and what's not that's why I'm confused as to which plants to get :/

I don't want to get both of them just in case they don't work out as I don't want to waste money for no reason.

Fresh20 any help? Any advice to what you were saying?

Anyone?? Someone please help me I really want to get one of the plants by next week

Also I just wanted to ask would the Myriophyllum mattogrossense grow in about tank that is 20 litres filled with shrimps and the light spec is a aqua lux with 7200K???

I tried M mattogrossense and mine grew well in my 10g under mini CFLs
Low light and little carbon.

Space the plants out and replant the trimmings.IMG_2007.jpg

Shrimp tank. Sand bottom. Weekly ferts

Hi thanks for that! Nice thank you got there and does it really look unique and different like people say they do in the tank?

Also I'm going to be buying the in-vitro plant for this as I can't find it already grown in a pot so would it still be fine and grow?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom