Need help choosing a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been doing a lot of research lately and I think I want to transition over to a canister filter. Right now I'm running a marineland 350 power filter On my 55 gallon planted tank and I'm getting tired of cleaning out plant debris out of the filter pads because I have to do it almost twice a week. So I figured it's time to switch over to a canister filter. Originally I've been looking at a fluval 306 canister filter which I believe will filter about 70 gallons And it's quite expensive. But today I stumbled upon a brand called Sunsun And they make a filter that has a built in UV sterilizer. (There's also a company called aquatop that puts their name on the exact same filter) Also at the moment I'm having some really bad black hair algae problems and I figured thebuilt in UV sterilizer might come in handy. My problem is the only size filter that has the UV sterilizer is one that will filter 100 gallons. Smaller sized filters of this brand do not have the UV sterilizer. My question is Will a filter that filters 100 gallons be okay to have on a 55 gallon tank?

So you think doubling the the filter standard is gonna be okay on my fish and plants?

I had a 406 on a 55 before I upgraded to a 75. It worked really well and I love the filter, a 306 would work fine though if that's what you wanted I just knew I'd be upgrading. The more the better is true though. I did have to make a DIY spray bar for the 406 while on my 55 because some of my fish didn't like the current but that was cheap and easy. I don't know anything about the sunsun filter other than some like it and some don't. I do know that the uv sterilizer won't remove all your algae though, it may help and reduce its spreading but won't get rid of it completely. Best to handle your algae another way like peroxide dips, target dosing excel/peroxide, and limiting photo periods.

I use the fluval fx5 on my 55 gallon planted tank. you can never over filter water but some fish like it calmer. I know its a big filter but I like that the fluval fx5 moves the entire tank volumn fast. Meaning debris stays suspended more. I recommend this.... intake on one end output on the other cant go wrong unless you make mistakes in setup....

I use the Fluval 306 on my 26g. IMO, the Fluval 06 canisters are superb and it's worth waiting and saving the money up for. I'd get the 406 if i were you. You get what you pay for... Never had a sunsun.

My dream filter would be the Fluval 406 even though my tank doesn't need that big of one (55 gal). I thought I might get an 100 gal someday and would want to be prepared.

What I remember from a reading here:
You would like to circulate the whole amount of water in your tank between 4 to 5 times per hour.
So for a 55 G tank, you will need a filter capable to pump between 220 to 275 Gallons per hour.
But also a lot of people said that MOST of the canister filters are overated in their spec's by almost double.
In other words, if the filter box says that the filter is capable to pump 200GPH, in reality, if you truly measure it, will be around 100 to 120 GPH (I don't know if this is true).
So following this theory, for a 55 G tank, you will need to use a filter that according to the box can pump 400 to 500 G per hour.

my two cents to this conversation.

One thing I have learned about filtration is .. More is better! I haven't ever read anyone saying "oh this thing filters way too much!" I have read that sometimes with the higher outputs there are issues with too much flow in the tank but they have so many options available now with spray bars and what not to help settle that issue. My advice go with the larger one if that's what you can afford and save yourself from having to eventually upgrade if you get a larger tank. As for the brand name I haven't heard of it maybe search it out and see what it's reviews are like first?

Most filter ratings are done with no media installed. As you add filter media and debris buildup the filter speed will decrease. This depends also on what type of media you use.

I have a 100 G tank, I run two canister filters
RENA Xp4 rated to 460GPH
JEBO 838. rated to 317GPH
This means that I have 777 gallons per hour capacity per the manufacturers, which in reality I think that I'm getting between 400 to 450 GPH, in other words, the tank filters the whole water between 4 to 4.5 times per hour, which is the recommended rate.

Hope this helps

I have a Rena xp2 and it's sitting in my garage because my 110hob is better. And it leaks from somewhere, checked gaskets can't figure it out. I will probably dump out trays and use it for a W/C bucket :)

The Sunsun/Aquatop filter will be fine. It's also probably half the price of the mainstream canister filters like a Fluval or Eheim. The UV is probably more gimmick than function, and it probably won't help with the BBA.

I'm getting the aquatop CF500UV 5 stage off of amazon for 125 free shipping with prime membership...525gph for a 55 then in a year or 2 gonna upgrade to a bigger tank idk what size somewhere from 90 to 120...prolly gona have to get an additional one when I do...check it out

I have an aquatop cf500 uv. Same as the one you ordered. Remember to fill the canister 3/4 of the way full so you don't spend too much time with the primer. It works great and has great filtering capability. Haven't had an issue with I breaking or clogging. Uv ster. Works decent, haven't had any issue with alage but again, I'm on top of my water changes and keep lights on for 6-7 hours max. I also supplanent it with a ehime ecco pro. Totall filtration of 350 on a 60 gallon

Will do...when changing filtration should I just run it with out the media to get a lil bio load in the canster while running my original HOBs so I dont kill my bio load this tank is about a year old and drained once for transport to my house from my old apartment about 6 months ago

I just set it up, took out any carbon pads it came with and let it run, water totally cleared up about 1 hour after, didt notice any amonia spike or anything just less debris floating around

Back
Top Bottom