Need help choosing plant light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read the plant FAQ but I think it's outdated.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-beginners-guide-to-lighting-53375.html

The guide says that 5,000k to 10,000k will work for plants, but does that mean that 10,000k is better than 5,000k or 6,7000k?

Are there any major differences between one 6,700k bulb and another 6,700k bulb, besides bulb lifespan?

Also, is this product any good for planted tanks?
Amazon.com : T5 Grow Light (4ft 8lamps) DL848S Ho Fluorescent Hydroponic Bloom Veg Daisy Chain with Bulbs : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I know I need 3 to 5 watts per gallon and that PAR will depend on height of tank and plant type and CO2 dosing. I am just curious if there is some obvious reason why this light fixture would be a poor choice for an aquarium. If the watts per gallon is too high I can use some actinic bulbs which have no effect on plants (do actinic bulbs grow algae?).

Why do people suspend the light so high above the tanks?

Thanks in advance!

I read the plant FAQ but I think it's outdated.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/a-beginners-guide-to-lighting-53375.html

The guide says that 5,000k to 10,000k will work for plants, but does that mean that 10,000k is better than 5,000k or 6,7000k?

Are there any major differences between one 6,700k bulb and another 6,700k bulb, besides bulb lifespan?

Also, is this product any good for planted tanks?
Amazon.com : T5 Grow Light (4ft 8lamps) DL848S Ho Fluorescent Hydroponic Bloom Veg Daisy Chain with Bulbs : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I know I need 3 to 5 watts per gallon and that PAR will depend on height of tank and plant type and CO2 dosing. I am just curious if there is some obvious reason why this light fixture would be a poor choice for an aquarium. If the watts per gallon is too high I can use some actinic bulbs which have no effect on plants (do actinic bulbs grow algae?).

Why do people suspend the light so high above the tanks?

Thanks in advance!
I'll try to help, but I am no expert.

• The shop light may work, just try to get bulbs between 6000K - 7000K because that seems to be the "sweet spot". F
  • Forget the Watts Per Gallon rule. It does not make sense. a 40 watt fixture on a 20 long does not have the same PAR as it does on a 20 tall.
  • Actinic and 10,000K bulbs are used for marine setups
  • Suspending the light serves two purposes:
    • It widens the light spread
    • It lowers the light intensity so you do not have an algae farm
Here is a good read from a guy that goes by "Hoppy: Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Here is an older thread. Quite obselete, but for shop lights it could prove useful.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774&highlight=lighting+chart
This guy has devoted a lot of time into aquarium lighting.

Thanks for the great links!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom