Need help from my homies....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
Why, oh why , do I have algae?? Lights are at 6 hrs, using PPS pro, phosphate at 4, nitrate at 20, dosing glut at double dose. Just don t know what to tweak?? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392259504.325742.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392259595.914072.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392259645.572128.jpg

Your stats look good accept PO4. with 20ppm NO3, try getting PO4 down to 2 ppm. Also the "algae" looks awfully brown. Looks like Diatoms instead of algae. How new is the tank &/or substrate? Does it feel slimy and does it rub off easy? OS.

Thanks OS....will adjust the phos. The tank was set up last summer. Yes, it does rub off easily but there s also those bright green spots . It does get indirect light from southern facing windows. The substrate is Eco with sand on top.

Set up since last summer.......Hmmm. Diatoms should be played out be now. But it sure is diatoms if it rubs off easy. Have you added new sand recently? OS.

Nope.....well except like a couple of cups but that was weeks ago.
Went to Reno for a conference in Oct & came home to this ...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392265763.751096.jpg
This tank has been a challenge ....

Gosh, I wish I had an easy answer. Keep your lights at six hours, NO3 at 20-40, and PO4 at 2-3. Dose glut at 1ml per 1gal and see if it starts to go away. Be sure and continue 50% weekly WC's. Keep me posted. You need to do as much manual removal at WC's also.
What frequency is your light? OS.

Holy cow batman, Reno kicked your tank around huh? I'm battling algae too, I feel your pain : pounds-chest: I'm following this thread for sure..

Thanks OS. I ll up the glut. So for a 50g that would be 12.5 mls of undiluted glut, yes? I ll have to get back to ya on the lights, not at home right now.

Wow , that s a lot ! Will it affect the fish? I have Angels, loaches & flying foxes in that tank.

Mine have tolerated that much just fine, but dose up to it gradually if you're in doubt. Dose 15ml pure daily for first week, then up it by 5 ml the next week. You can tell when the water won't absorb anymore as it will cloud up temporarily after dosing but will go away when it dissipates. If you have Val plants or anacharis though, it won't like the glut. OS.

Brookster , good luck with your tank!
OS, I have 3 48 inch lights on this tank.
Penn Plax FL40 Aquari-Lux
Aquatic Life
T5 HO 6000K 54 w BA
T5 HO Roseate 54 w BA

Whatcha think?
Run them for 7 hrs a day.

Brookster , good luck with your tank! OS, I have 3 48 inch lights on this tank. Penn Plax FL40 Aquari-Lux Aquatic Life T5 HO 6000K 54 w BA T5 HO Roseate 54 w BA Whatcha think? Run them for 7 hrs a day.
thanks! The excel seems to be helping a lot, I've been increasing the dose over the last two weeks.

That s how I got the post Reno gunk under control, plus I cut the light period back. Guess just having someone feed the fish but not add glut for 5 days was my mistake . And I believe that all that time I spend staring at it & fussing over things was missing !

That s how I got the post Reno gunk under control, plus I cut the light period back. Guess just having someone feed the fish but not add glut for 5 days was my mistake . And I believe that all that time I spend staring at it & fussing over things was missing !
oh man, you just reminded me of something! I'm going away for a week in April, will not dosing the glut everyday be a big problem?

Yes, when we go RV camping for a week my tanks get all out of kilter also. I'm going to try and "adjust" things next time we go knowing I won't be here to dose ferts daily. Going to try lowering lights to 4 hours, disconnecting CO2 for fish's safety, and just dosing traces that last day.
I'll bet the lack of carbon triggered the algae bloom and you didn't lower your light period. Always a search with these crazy aquariums. LOL. OS.

Yes, when we go RV camping for a week my tanks get all out of kilter also. I'm going to try and "adjust" things next time we go knowing I won't be here to dose ferts daily. Going to try lowering lights to 4 hours, disconnecting CO2 for fish's safety, and just dosing traces that last day. I'll bet the lack of carbon triggered the algae bloom and you didn't lower your light period. Always a search with these crazy aquariums. LOL. OS.
good Sunday scales! Would a 7 day lights out work? My tanks are all right by windows( now with shades drawn, I know... Sunlight is bad for algae)

Hi Brookster,
I'd be afraid of 7 full days without lights. And I'd rather give them a little light from the fixture than sunlight. Algae LOVES sunlight. Do you have your lights on a timer?

Back
Top Bottom