Need help growing Echinodorus Paul Kloecker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought this plant but when it arrived it was very small with 2-3 leaves without any roots and sort of dying away so need some help growing it

I don’t know whether to plant it or float it as it doesnt have any roots so doesn’t really stay in the substrate.

So any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I would float it to see if it will grow roots. Swords do best if the base of the plant is not buried

The plant is sort of already in a bad way so I don’t want to kill it
Is it likely to grow roots if it’s floating?

The plant is sort of already in a bad way so I don’t want to kill it
Is it likely to grow roots if it’s floating?

Maybe. Maybe not. At least while it is floating you will be able to see if roots develop (as opposed to not seeing the buried stem rot below the substrate)

I’m not getting any luck floating it don’t really see any roots growing and when i planted it before it doesn’t seem to grow at all

I’m not getting any luck floating it don’t really see any roots growing and when i planted it before it doesn’t seem to grow at all

It may take a few weeks for it to shoot out roots and get used to its new conditions. Don’t give up on it just yet [emoji106]

Ok i’ll give it a few weeks but the plant has been in the tank for more than a month maybe 2

Sounds like it might be abit fat gone if it hasn’t shot roots in a month when floating. Any pics?

This is what they look like right now
Am I better of planting them?
Let me know if you want a better picture
Problem was I was given a small plant to begin with
IMG_2579.jpgIMG_2580.jpgIMG_2581.jpg

I’ve had a sitting at the bottom before but didn’t seem to grow at all tbh just very small leaves :/

Is there no way the roots can grow and for the plant to survive?
Even if plant it and start adding some liquid ferts?

If it’s floated and not shooting roots with all the atmospheric co2 it’s getting then I’d say it’s too far gone. Generally it only takes a week or so before they start shooting roots especially at the surface

Looks bit of a lost cause. You could try putting it in a floating guppy breeder tank or anything you have and get it closer to light and maybe better CO2 coming from surface.

It is in a open top take where I have kept it and take the picture from
I started removing some of the brown at the bottom and I got to a white bit which seems to me not the whole thing has rotted away and I do seems some fine white thread like structures but can’t tell if they are roots or not
Maybe doing a fresh water change tomorrow might help?
Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom