need help on deciding co2 or no co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wanting to up my lighting I currently have 2 x 65 watt cf light fixture on my 100 gal. tank. I have a fixture that is 4 x 96 watt cf light that is only a 48 in fixture that i want to take the guts out of and put into my 60 inch housing for my tank. This would increase might watts to high for not having co2, i know.
I was wondering if I could just use two of the 96 watt light and then the other 2 could be antic lights that would make my fish look better. If i did this would i have to have the co2?

I have the money from christmas for the co2 but am having a hard time spending it on co2 at the moment i keep thinking of all the other stuff i could use it on...lol I am a mom.

Thanks Tess

Tess, I think if you were running 2X96 in 6500K-10000K and 2X96 Actinic, you could easily get away without running CO2. It is great that you then have the option to expand should you want to up the light, and then add CO2 at a later date.

Thanks Fort I think that was kind of the answer i was hoping someone would give me. I think that is what i will do. I love my tank but sometimes it is hard to justify the money i want to spend on it.. when it is really just for me.

Yup, understood!

Just watch the tank closely as you make the change, and consider reducing the photoperiod a bit to make sure you don't send the tank into overdrive, suck up all available nutrients, bottom out on something, and end up with a tank full of algae. You can slowly then increase your photo period back to normal as you monitor the tank, and find what works best for your setup. More light without CO2 increases the risk for more algae (one of the great benefits I have found with CO2 injection is it really helps keep algae to a minimum).

As you up the wattage, even without CO2, you may find it beneficial to add ferts, or change what/how you are currently dosing ferts... Again, I would just watch closely, especially the N levels, and make adjustments according to any deficiencies you may see... make sense?

Thanks Fort that sounds like really good advise I am sure i will be back for more info on ferts as i take on the adventure.

Back
Top Bottom