Need help on growing plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've answered as best we can. We've told you about fertilizers. You say you don't want to use them.

Cherry shrimp have a very low bio load, they will not add much fertilizer to the water.

Keep up on water changes and your temperature only needs to be about 72 to 74 for cherry shrimp it doesn't need to be very high.

Some plants will survive without fertilizer and be okay but will grow very very slowly. Some plants will wither away and die without fertilizer. Try floating some hornwort and planting some hornwort and see which does better.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've answered as best we can. We've told you about fertilizers. You say you don't want to use them.

Cherry shrimp have a very low bio load, they will not add much fertilizer to the water.

Keep up on water changes and your temperature only needs to be about 72 to 74 for cherry shrimp it doesn't need to be very high.

Some plants will survive without fertilizer and be okay but will grow very very slowly. Some plants will wither away and die without fertilizer. Try floating some hornwort and planting some hornwort and see which does better.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i do not but im planning on using them now if they would help grow more greener and better. I was thinking of get tetra plantamin would that be any good?
Also will it harm the shrimps when i put them in?

I currently dont have shrimps in the tank ive got about 12 kind of big molly fry

My temp is 25C but probably lower as it is a open top tank

i tried to float 1 or 2 hornworts and it didnt seem to have any effect :/

Dump the hornwort is just a messy plant.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking of get tetra plantamin would that be any good?
Also will this help my hornworts and anachrais grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was thinking of get tetra plantamin would that be any good?
Also will this help my hornworts and anachrais grow?

Sorry I don't know anything about this Fert. I'm sure it's better than nothing, but I don't know if it will cover all your bases. Try it ?

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok no worries anyone else know anything about this fert or have used it?
Is it any good and will it help my hornwort plants grow?

I had a quick look and saw it had potassium, iron, manganese and other micros.

I can't comment on the product specifically but in general potassium dosing is very useful as it's the one major element not supplied in tank (phosphate coming from fish food and ammonia/nitrate from fish waste).

Iron seems useful. Perhaps more so in a tank with high ph and/or low organic matter in substrate where the iron is more immobile. For a micro it seems to get a lot of focus. I've overdosed iron by 3x and never managed to get it show on the test kit so idk.

I had a quick look and saw it had potassium, iron, manganese and other micros.

I can't comment on the product specifically but in general potassium dosing is very useful as it's the one major element not supplied in tank (phosphate coming from fish food and ammonia/nitrate from fish waste).

Iron seems useful. Perhaps more so in a tank with high ph and/or low organic matter in substrate where the iron is more immobile. For a micro it seems to get a lot of focus. I've overdosed iron by 3x and never managed to get it show on the test kit so idk.

Ahh ok so your saying its a good product to use? im going to be using this in a 20 litre tank (5 gallon) with cherry shrimps in them. But i might later on use it in my 200 litre tank i have running as well.
What do you mean it gets alot of focus for micro?

I also came across easy life profito fertiliser and ive read that it is a good all round product and cheap in the long run. Any ideas on this?

Ahh ok so your saying its a good product to use? im going to be using this in a 20 litre tank (5 gallon) with cherry shrimps in them. But i might later on use it in my 200 litre tank i have running as well.

What do you mean it gets alot of focus for micro?

I also came across easy life profito fertiliser and ive read that it is a good all round product and cheap in the long run. Any ideas on this?

Well, I can't see anything wrong with trying it. I've swapped over to dry ferts as these are cheaper to use.

Below is an article on iron. From what I have read, plants don't need a lot of iron (micro element). So we don't need to dose a lot. However, making it available to plants may be a problem as the iron transforms/oxidises to a form the plants can't readily use. See link.

I dose API leaf zone as well which has potassium and chelated iron. The chelating effect should make the iron available to the plants more readily. You can get it in a dry fert as well but here it is cheap for how often I buy it and an excuse to talk about plants at the lfs (mostly how problematic they are).

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ferrous-ferric

Well, I can't see anything wrong with trying it. I've swapped over to dry ferts as these are cheaper to use.

Below is an article on iron. From what I have read, plants don't need a lot of iron (micro element). So we don't need to dose a lot. However, making it available to plants may be a problem as the iron transforms/oxidises to a form the plants can't readily use. See link.

I dose API leaf zone as well which has potassium and chelated iron. The chelating effect should make the iron available to the plants more readily. You can get it in a dry fert as well but here it is cheap for how often I buy it and an excuse to talk about plants at the lfs (mostly how problematic they are).

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ferrous-ferric

Hi thanks for that I will look over that and will probably try out both and see how they go.
The only thing I don't want to do is harm my shrimps :/

Hi thanks for that I will look over that and will probably try out both and see how they go.
The only thing I don't want to do is harm my shrimps :/

I can't really comment with shrimps as it has been years since I kept similar to those and I didn't dose ferts in the tank.

At a guess, I would do some research to make sure the copper won't be an issue. Perhaps someone else can comment if that is correct or not.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178476#/forumsite/20495/topics/178476

Last edited:
I've used API leaf zone, excel, and flourish in shrimp tanks with no problems. Only time I had a problem is by accidentally overdosing (don't pour ferts over the tank). I'm not sure about iron however, I would think it's safe for shrimp. But I would definitely do some research

The minuscule amounts of copper in most ferts labeled for planted tanks do not harm Shrimp. Copper is the issue with Shrimp. Don't overdose.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420398445.765556.jpg

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom