Need help upgrading light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Id like to start getting into plants for my 30gallon aquarium with glass canopy. Right now I have a 20watt fixture for my 30gal, and thats comes out to like .66wpg. Not good. Can someone help me setup a fixture so I have a good base for planting? Id like to get some plants that will grow without C02 injection and much taking care of. I would also like to keep the prices on the fixture to a price where I wont have to spend like 200 on one. Any ideas?

Well, depending on the tank width, you could get a single 65W CF fixture and run it with a 50/50 bulb. That will get you decent light without the worry of needing CO2. I have a 65W CF on my 26G with the legs, and it fits perfectly without removing my old hood. Or you could get a glass top instead of using the hood.

Hey hey, one thing at a time, hehe, Im not made of money ya know. Where could I check these CF fixtures out online? Do you have a pic of your setup by any chance? If its easier, you can contact me online on YIM at outlawokiniwa

LOL....

Here's mine....
26g10.jpg

You can find them at Ebay. Here's a couple more online sources as well:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?lighting

Just make sure you get something for your tank width.

Here's the 130W Coralife on my 29G. It's the 2-bulb model. All you want is the single bulb version with a 50/50 bulb.
29g28.jpg

Also has built-in moon lights as well....
29g19.jpg

Putting in a full 65W CF will put you well into the CO2 realm. The 50/50 bulb only counts for half the total wattage, which will put you in a good area for low light plants, and minimal algae problems.

Edit: I was just looking, and saw the 36" fixtures were the 96W. You should be ok with that one then. But if you ever got to the point of using both full CF's, you may be in for a race, lol.

A 50/50 bulb is half actinic.

He means that the lighting will be so intense that you will have to race to keep up with the nutrient uptake.

Oh I see. Interesting, well Id like to keep as couple of easy going plants just to make the tank look better until I get my 125g. Maybe Ill wind up turning this tank into a reef!

I had 520W on my 75G, and trying to dose the tank was like trying to jump into a NASCAR during the middle of the race. Yes, the more light you have, the more the uptake is going to be. And if you have high lighting, it can provide a challenge. :)

As for your setup, if you get the 2x96W, that will be good for the reef setup later on. But for a planted tank, I'd only have 1 bulb on for what you want, with a 50/50 bulb in it. Use the 2nd bulb as a backup, and then you won't have to upgrade later if you decide on doing the reef.

Bringing this post back from the dead, since Im going to be doing this soon.

Ive decided to ditch the 125g idea, as the basement hasnt been finished off yet. So Im going to be working with my 30g.

I need guidance again, Id like the dual CF strip with moonlighting, where do I go to get one of these?

I still have my freshwater tank, not doing a reef either.

Back
Top Bottom