need help with DIY co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read up on it a little bit but I still have some questions. All the materials 2 liter bottle, tubing, check valve, ect seem pretty straight forward. Now I'm wondering the best way to actually add it to the tank. Do I just conect the other end to an air stone? Is there any need to check the co2 levels or can I just assume they are okay?

What is best is a bubble diverter like the one sold with the Hagen CO2 units. What is does is increase the time the CO2 is in the water increasing the solubility. Although, I have seen people use airstones.

i also read that if you have a canister filter, you can run the line down so it ends by the intake of the filter. the co2 is pulled into the filter and dissolved into the water.

I'm currently running DIY CO2 into my Filstar canister filter. The CO2 seams to build up in the top of the canister, until it suddenly comes spewing out, all at once. Causing some of the precious CO2 to escape to the surface and not benifiting the tank. Running this setup also causes my filter to burp. Not so sure if this is good in the long run. Another thing I have noticed is CO2 through an airstone over times turns the airstone into dust. Makes me concerned what it might be doing to the o rings and gaskets of my filter.

These are just observations I have made with my particular filter. Others useing a different filter, I am sure have had different results.

Here's a cool site for DIY CO2. Very informative.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Back
Top Bottom