need help with HOW to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't find a sticky or a post that tells one exactly HOW to plant things....I keep reading in different places that certain plants (like rhizomes) shouldn't be buried in the gravel. I know my java moss doesn't need burying, but when I acquire a new plant, especially if it has roots, my first tendency is to want to "plant" it in the gravel. Is this a no-no? I have quite a few java ferns now (thanks atl300zx) and some swords and one crypt. Which of these plants doesn't need "planting" and if not, how in the heck do you keep them at the bottom of the tank if they are not planted? Sorry, for these obvious :n00b: planted questions....just want to do things the right way.

Well stem plants just go into the substrate as do root plants like crypts and swords. Cryps have rhizomes but still need to be "planted" I guess you just not supposed to burry it real deep to completely cover the rhizomes, I haven't noticed any issues with mine although I dont have a thick layer of gravel. It also may be more important to watch how you plant crypts using sand substrate, I think with gravel its not going to smother the rhizomes as easy. The same thing goes for Java ferns but the ferns also can be floated they dont really need to be planted although they will attach themselves to things like moss.

The do sell "plant weights" or people superglue some kind of weight to hold things down. Then of course you can use fishing line or string to tie things in place. I use normal thread as it will kinda dissolve over time and by then the plants should stay in place. Like for moss on driftwood, spread the moss out real good and lay it on the driftwood and then wrap thread around it, so it will cover the whole driftwood. You can put java ferns on driftwood also just thread around the brown part by the roots and wood

Thanks again...that was what I needed to know. I thought I was doing something wrong by "planting" these plants....lol

eh....I 'planted' my crypt into my sand. Huh. The card said to remove the wool, spread out the roots and 'plant' it. I guess I'll just have to see...

I had the same issue. Everyone talked about plants, but when I think plants I think dirt. Thought I needed to add dirt or a small pot under the gravel. Finally found someone who i didn't feel stupid asking questions and she told me to plant them in the gravel, not too deep, as they are fertilized by the fish poo. Still felt dumb though, and she was cute. :) Didn't help.

they also sell clay fertalizer that sinks to the bottom of the tank. just layer it fertalizer then gravel, however it can get a bit nasty because it clouds the water. it will take a day or two before the water clears itself. but it awesome with the plants man!

Back
Top Bottom