Need Help With Lighting For 55 Gal Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lieggi26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As of right now my tank is empty. I know how to setup a freshwater tank and know a lot about fish. Now I want to take the next step in this hobby. I have done some research in planted tanks for a 55 gal. I need to know if I use 2 T5HO bulbs and a glass top on my tank will work? If you have other suggestions please feel free. All info is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it will work. I had a 3X54Watt T5HO with CO2. I did not have a glass top though. I believe low light plants will work out great for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I don't want to do co2. There's plenty of low to. Mid light plants I can pick from

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As of right now my tank is empty. I know how to setup a freshwater tank and know a lot about fish. Now I want to take the next step in this hobby. I have done some research in planted tanks for a 55 gal. I need to know if I use 2 T5HO bulbs and a glass top on my tank will work? If you have other suggestions please feel free. All info is welcome.

A few years back I used to run a dual t5 ho fixture on my 55 gallon and it worked pretty well. You'll have some pretty good growth with a lot of plants. (y)

Ok I was really worried about the glass top. I need a top because of the fish I will be getting

Do u recommend a brand of build I should use

I might even use 3 bulbs fixture just to be on the safe side

One more thing how high or low should the light be from the glass top?

I have a filter, heater and air tube hanging off the back. Can I still use the mesh netting?

I might even use 3 bulbs fixture just to be on the safe side

I bet 3 T5 HO bulbs would give you too much light for your low tech setup. What is your tank depth and dimensions, and what fixture are you thinking may be a possibility? Maybe we could find the PAR that you will be providing so you don't get too much or too little lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish enthusiast is correct. Without CO2 a 3 bulb fixture will create an algae farm. A 2 bulb fixture for a 55 gallon is ideal. Now you could look at a Finnex Planted Plus. 1 Finnex should suffice for low light plants in a 55.
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...621784&sr=8-1&keywords=finnex+planted+plus+48

you could try a less expensive Beamswork fixture. I have read good things about them, but have no personal experience. (I recommend Finnex because I have one and it works great.) Here is a thread on beamswork fixtures:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/721001-beamswork-success-stories-beamswork-club.html

Beamswork/Green Element 48" fixture:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Freshwater-Plant-p/56547p.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a 55 gallon fish tank about 20 inches deep. Not sure about light fixtures. But I wanna use t5ho 4 ft length unless u have a better idea? Let me know what I should do

I have a 55 gallon fish tank about 20 inches deep. Not sure about light fixtures. But I wanna use t5ho 4 ft length unless u have a better idea? Let me know what I should do

If your fixture has a PAR from 20-40ish, you should be set for a good low tech tank. If your PAR is above 50, pressurized CO2 would be necessary for algae prevention and good plant growth. One of our old members had a beautiful 220 gallon planted tank without pressurized CO2 (glut dosing for CO2) in a high light environment, but I wouldn't even try that. She had a gift. Anyway, try to aim for the PAR that I mentioned at the beginning for an easy setup. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a current satellite plus pro and a finnex planted plus 24/7 on different tanks. Theyre both great lights and they can be adjusted to suit your needs and cuts out the need to keep buying bulbs.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom