need help with moss for my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I am setting up a new 20g high tank and i can't decide what kind of moss i should get.

I do plan on getting some drift wood and rocks in my tank so my moss can attach to them. but i just don't know what kind of moss to get.

I have been looking at christmas moss, flame moss, or fissidens fontanus. I don't know much about them so i want something that takes little effort to maintain and that grows easily.

which one should i get?

Hi,

I am setting up a new 20g high tank and i can't decide what kind of moss i should get.

I do plan on getting some drift wood and rocks in my tank so my moss can attach to them. but i just don't know what kind of moss to get.

I have been looking at christmas moss, flame moss, or fissidens fontanus. I don't know much about them so i want something that takes little effort to maintain and that grows easily.

which one should i get?

I would say it is all about personal preference. As far as I am concerned all of those mosses you listed would be very easy to grow/maintain. Just get what you think looks the best. Another moss you could add to that list would be Java Moss, which is quite common in most fish stores. What kind of lights do you have? The lights will play a large roll as to the speed and health of the growth of moss.

I just have the moss that came with my aqueon deluxe kit 20.. do i need to get a different one?

Paulcm10 said:
I just have the moss that came with my aqueon deluxe kit 20.. do i need to get a different one?

I assume you ment light instead of moss... I think it will be alright, the moss won't grow very fast but it will live.

I assume you ment light instead of moss... I think it will be alright, the moss won't grow very fast but it will live.

yah sorry i wasn't paying attention to what i was typing. and it can affect growth for moss?

Paulcm10 said:
yah sorry i wasn't paying attention to what i was typing. and it can affect growth for moss?

Basically the brighter the light the faster the moss will grow. At least that is my experience with it. Just make sure you have the proper kind of bulb. 6500 K is the proper degree of bulb for a planted tank

Basically the brighter the light the faster the moss will grow. At least that is my experience with it. Just make sure you have the proper kind of bulb. 6500 K is the proper degree of bulb for a planted tank
6500K would be good just for a moss tank?
what else plants could i add that would be easy to maintain?

Paulcm10 said:
6500K would be good just for a moss tank?
what else plants could i add that would be easy to maintain?

6500K is good for any kind of plant (it is the closest to the suns light). Um.... Java Ferns are easy to keep. I am not really sure of anything else but I know there are a bunch of different kinds that you could grow.

6500K is good for any kind of plant (it is the closest to the suns light). Um.... Java Ferns are easy to keep. I am not really sure of anything else but I know there are a bunch of different kinds that you could grow.

oh ok thanks! I saw some java ferns at petco so i'll pick up some of those

Fissidens needs cool water, VERY slow growing. I would try Xmas Moss or Flame. Java Moss grows fastest, but kinda stringy, no structure.

Just to try you can start with Java Moss, sell it and get something prettier.

Java Fern I Love !!
Narrow Leaf JF is my favorite but regular is cool.

Fissidens needs cool water, VERY slow growing. I would try Xmas Moss or Flame. Java Moss grows fastest, but kinda stringy, no structure.

Just to try you can start with Java Moss, sell it and get something prettier.

Java Fern I Love !!
Narrow Leaf JF is my favorite but regular is cool.

I do plan on attaching it to some rocks and drift wood.
and do java fern grow easily and easy to maintain?
also do they require a lot of lighting?

Paulcm10 said:
I do plan on attaching it to some rocks and drift wood.
and do java fern grow easily and easy to maintain?
also do they require a lot of lighting?

The best way IMO to grow Java Ferns it to attach them to drift wood. You don't want to plant the base of the plant in the gravel because it will rot under the gravel. The roots then selves are fine to bury just not the very base of the plant.
Java Ferns grow very easily, no special care needed to keep them alive.
Java Ferns require very little light. They can grow in anything from low light aquariums to high light aquariums.

I believe willow moss need a little higher light than other mosses. Flame moss and X-mas moss are my favorites. Flame moss grows up twards the light, hence the name flame moss and it looks great on driftwood if you plant it at the base. X-mas moss is pretty thick and looks very "full" when in a tank:)

I kinda like xmas moss, flame moss, and fissidens fontanus.
and java i might somewhere down the road. and what do you mean by burying the base? isn't the base the roots?

Paulcm10 said:
I kinda like xmas moss, flame moss, and fissidens fontanus.
and java i might somewhere down the road. and what do you mean by burying the base? isn't the base the roots?

Sorry, I ment if you tie it to the base of the DW, it will slowly creep up it and it looks pretty amazing:) fissidens is another great looking one. I'v heard that it usually grows painfully slow though. However it all depends on you individual tanks specs:)

Sorry, I ment if you tie it to the base of the DW, it will slowly creep up it and it looks pretty amazing:) fissidens is another great looking one. I'v heard that it usually grows painfully slow though. However it all depends on you individual tanks specs:)

why my individual tanks specs? what does that have to do with my plants?
and so if i attach it to the driftwood will it creep to the substrate?

Paulcm10 said:
why my individual tanks specs? what does that have to do with my plants?
and so if i attach it to the driftwood will it creep to the substrate?

Everyones tanks are different some way or another. This may help plants grow, or slow them down. No hobbyist will have the EXACT same growth readings on plants. Let's say you and I both have fissidens growing on DW. With my tanks individual specs, It may grow a little faster for me and it could grow a little slower for you. It varies on many factors:)

If you attach the flame moss to DW, it will slowly creep up it. Once it grows, you may have to tie it again until it attaches itself.

Everyones tanks are different some way or another. This may help plants grow, or slow them down. No hobbyist will have the EXACT same growth readings on plants. Let's say you and I both have fissidens growing on DW. With my tanks individual specs, It may grow a little faster for me and it could grow a little slower for you. It varies on many factors:)

If you attach the flame moss to DW, it will slowly creep up it. Once it grows, you may have to tie it again until it attaches itself.

what about christmas moss will that creep down to the substrate?

Paulcm10 said:
what about christmas moss will that creep down to the substrate?

I don't believe that it will creep down, I'm not sure though. It will usually cover and grow around, or grow out.

i like flame moss, but it gets dirty very easy, and its kind of hard to clean it. when it is clean it looks really nice.

Back
Top Bottom