Need help with my DIY CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I visited with a guy at my lfs yesterday who told me an easy way to set up a DIY CO2 system using a 2 liter bottle, water, sugar, and yeast. One question I have is (and I've watched a few Youtube videos), can I use the air stone I have in the picture or do I need to use a regular cylinder air stone? I was hoping I can use the one that's already in the tank and just unhook the air line from the compressor and put it in the bottle. Will that work OK? And, couldn't find a 2 liter bottle so I bought a 3 liter bottle of water and I was hoping that would be OK. Sorry, one more question.....Is it OK to leave it running all the time and how long will it last? Ok, that's technically 2! It's in a 55 gal long with just a few plants so far. Any advise would be helpful!

Attachments

• 2013-05-14 18.22.57.jpg
    2013-05-14 18.22.57.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 57
I would be afraid that the airstone would make bubbles that are too big, resulting in them rising to the surface and the co2 being loss. You should consider getting a ceramic diffuser to get better diffusion efficiency. You might also run into throughout and consistency issues on a tank that size with DIY co2. The usefulness of DIY co2 falls off pretty rapidly past about 30g.

Thanks. I also have a 5 gal I'm wanting to put plants in. Would a DIY setup be OK for that? All I have in there is my dwarf puffer but I'm wanting to get a couple of ottos and some ghost shrimp.
They have glass diffusers at my lfs. I guess for my 55 gal I'd better look into a "store-bought" system. Rats, thanks for your help though. I'm not real mechanically inclined on these systems. Cars yes, CO2, not so much!! LOL!!

That was a great video. I might have to set that up in my 5 gal. Even though it might work for a little while in my 55 gal until I can afford a "real" system. I don't have many plants in my 55 gal tank and I already have 2 3L bottles. I have everything I need for a DIY system except the diffuser and check valve. Thanks for sharing that!

When I was doing DIY CO2 I couldn't get a ceramic CO2 diffuser to work. The plastic bottles would become rock hard and eventually start leaking at the cap, the required pressure was just too high. Glad I didn't end up with a big mess.

Inline worked for me though, a DIY reactor would be even better I suppose.

I may have to try a DIY reactor. I have plenty of air line. All I need is a sponge and small water bottle. If I end up doing that, I'll post pictures. Thanks.

I use a DIY co2 setup on my 12g. I'd be reluctant to use one in anything larger than 20g. I've been using mine with a Fluval ceramic diffuser for over a year now. It takes almost the whole day before there's enough built up pressure to get co2 to get through the fine pores of the ceramic disk -- but it does work!

Try looking up "Hagen mini elite co2 diffuser mod"... Seems like a good option for a diy co2 system. There's some YouTube vids too.

I use a DIY CO2 setup on my 10 gallon. I use two 2 liter bottles and a coke bottle with water (because I heard it helps with the white stuff). I also dose excel. I currently have it hooked up to a small airstone because Im waiting for my diffuser. I ordered it from hongkong so its going to take a while.. :( with a bigger tank like that, it would definitely be worth your time to just invest in a good system.

img_2476927_0_4345281005da367e117784b3de0945e8.jpg

img_2476927_1_9bc6c0142bb33a028556ef081c0d8ffb.jpg

In terms of efficacy, I wouldn't worry about it too much on tanks less than 20g, especially if you have redundant reactors so that you can maintain consistent CO2 levels.

Thanks everyone for the input. Looks like you have this thing figured out. I'll work on my system this weekend. I think I'll use it in my 5 gal and buy a system for my 55 gal. I so much appreciate your pictures and advise!!!

Back
Top Bottom