Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need help with setting up 80 gallon tank

Hi guys. So I recently purchased an 80 gallon fish tank. It came fully set up with fish but I already gave them away. It came with a Fluval 304 canister filter ( I know i need something bigger but it'll do for now ) as well as a Orbit 24 Hour Lighting System has PC lamps and a Moon White Lunar Lamp (Aquarium Arts' Current-USA Power Compact Fixtures and Lamps) It seems to be a really old model because I can't find much information on it. It came with 4 65 watt bulbs. Two of them are the bright white lights I'm guessing for the day and then the other 2 are the blue night lights. My question is if you guys think I can buy the 96 Watt bulbs and use them in my fixture. I really want a planted tank with nice and healthy plants but I don't think the 65 watts will do. Please if anyone can help me. Also another question if it is possible to use the 96 watts. Would I be able to buy the 4 for maximum light output and not even have the night lights? Or would this maybe ruin my fixture?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anyone?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless01 View Post
Hi guys. So I recently purchased an 80 gallon fish tank. It came fully set up with fish but I already gave them away. It came with a Fluval 304 canister filter ( I know i need something bigger but it'll do for now ) as well as a Orbit 24 Hour Lighting System has PC lamps and a Moon White Lunar Lamp (Aquarium Arts' Current-USA Power Compact Fixtures and Lamps) It seems to be a really old model because I can't find much information on it. It came with 4 65 watt bulbs. Two of them are the bright white lights I'm guessing for the day and then the other 2 are the blue night lights. My question is if you guys think I can buy the 96 Watt bulbs and use them in my fixture. I really want a planted tank with nice and healthy plants but I don't think the 65 watts will do. Please if anyone can help me. Also another question if it is possible to use the 96 watts. Would I be able to buy the 4 for maximum light output and not even have the night lights? Or would this maybe ruin my fixture?

Can u post a picture of the tank with the light on please? I've never heard of this fixture before. Also how deep is your tank?

Generally bigger tanks are harder to light due to there depth.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need help with setting up 80 gallon tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2oo1 View Post
can u post a picture of the tank with the light on please? I've never heard of this fixture before. Also how deep is your tank?

Generally bigger tanks are harder to light due to there depth.
My tank is approximately 20 inches deep. Sorry I can't give you an exact number as I don't have a tape measure or ruler right now lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	292588Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	292589Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	292590Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	292591
Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might be able to go low light plants with what you have, however I think that big pleco of yours might cause some damage to your plants. I'd start with some anubias, Java fern, crypts and see how they go.

Tags
gallon, setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com