Need help with substrate, Live plants, and Filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I finally have what fish I am planning on. I now am ready to get a better filter, and some planning on live plants and substrate.
30 Gallon tank

I am planning on the Aquaclear 50 Filter. Couple of questions. If I get my own bag and carbon, would that work just as well as their replacement, or should I get their replacement.

As far as substrate. My tanks is black and chrome, so I want something asthetically pleasing and still be not ridiculous cost-wise. I am thinking maybe black onyx? If I could do natural sand colored sand, that would be cool, but if it is a gravel or rocks, I want it black if possible.

Live plants. I want some plants that are very mild in growth and easy maintenance (as well as hardiness). Some help here please? I am deff. brand new to this.

My tank- 30 Gallons
My Fish (planned)-
4-6 Mollies
2 Angelfish (although I might do 2 Gaurami)
1 Red Tail Shark
1 Pleco

Thanks ya'll,
Andy

P.S.- Is this the kit I want for testing?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=

You do not need to use tha carbon at all except to remove meds or suspected toxins, just keep a pad handy if you ever need it.

Black onyx sand is expensive. A nice white sand will make a nice contrast and there are inexpensive alternatives. If you go with black gravel every LFS will carry it.

As for plants do you know how many watts your lights are?

rich311k said:
You do not need to use tha carbon at all except to remove meds or suspected toxins, just keep a pad handy if you ever need it.

Black onyx sand is expensive. A nice white sand will make a nice contrast and there are inexpensive alternatives. If you go with black gravel every LFS will carry it.

As for plants do you know how many watts your lights are?

OK, so do I just not put a carbon filter in the aquaclear, and just keep it aside just in case of the reasons you mentioned?

Also, the white sand.... where would be a good place to get that? And would live plants grow in it?

Not sure of my wattage. I am at my fiancee's apartment, and have the hood and light at my place across town. I can find out in the next day or 2 though :(

So, the aquaclear 50 filter is good?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22125;category_id=1721;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

How much sand would I need for the bottom?

Is this test kit good?
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=2283;pcid1=;pcid2=

I want to order my kit, sand, and filter so I can start fishless cycling
I also might as well order my food and python gravel cleaner. I just want to make sure I get it all in one order. I just wanted to make sure I get all the right stuff according to the experts (you all).
If you could link to the correct page, that would be awesome also.
I want to get the:
1- Filter (and replacement filters)
2- Master Test Kit
3- Python Gravel Cleaner (and what size?)
4- Food

I will get the substrate at the LFS, so I can save on $$$.

50 would be adequate a 70 would give you a 10 time an hour overturn for only a few more dollars.

The test kit is a perfect choice.

You can get a 50 lb. bag of Pool filter sand at Home Depot or a pool supply store for about 8.00 a bag. One bag should be fine.

The size of the python is really a matter of how long a hose you need to reach the faucet you will be using.

While you are at Big Als get yourself a thermometer and a heater as well.
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=30055;category_id=1733

http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29481;category_id=2281

rich311k said:
The size of the python is really a matter of how long a hose you need to reach the faucet you will be using.

Do I get the "no spills" python???

Also, what food should I get?

(And I already have a thermometer.... it should be fine I think).

Yes get the no spill. No bucket lugging that way. Flakes, algae tabs, freeze dried red worms. You can feed your pleco cucumbers and other fresh veggies. Once you get going you can try frozen foods and other treats to spice up the diet.

rich311k said:
Yes get the no spill. No bucket lugging that way. Flakes, algae tabs, freeze dried red worms. You can feed your pleco cucumbers and other fresh veggies. Once you get going you can try frozen foods and other treats to spice up the diet.

awesome! Thanks rich
Do I need any fertilizer or tabs for my plants?

Wow not long ago I was in your exact situation, asking the exact same questions. When you fishless cycle it will take about a month or more (I'm about 4 weeks in myself). So don't feel the need to get food and such right away. Maybe you can split it into a couple orders, that is what I've been doing.

The python is great. Get the footage that you need to get to your sink.
Some of the best food available at bigals is New Life. But variety is more important if its too expensive. But I've done a lot of reading lately on food and everyone says New Life is the top of the top in quality. I just got the H2O stable wafers, small community pellets, and garlic flakes from them. Again I would wait on this.

As far as plants: Do you have enough light? Most plants (some you can get away with regular light) will need 2W/gallon (and thats considered low-light). You can retrofit your current hood to take power compacts if you look at ahsupply.com (I just ordered their 1x96W retrofit a couple days ago). You won't find bulbs that go above 15-20 watts usually in the stores. The Seachem fertilizer tabs are good for plants that feed through roots, in combination Seachem Flourish is a good product for plants that feed through the water column. If you don't want to do co2 injection then you might want to dose Seachem Flourish Excel which has a carbon source in it and can replace the need for co2 in low-tech systems. If you are not doing co2 injection then I would recommend getting:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29079;category_id=3141;pcid1=3349;pcid2=
It has Flourish Iron, Flourish, and Flourish Excel. They work well together. Along with Flourish root tabs that will cover the fertilization. If you aren't going to do 2W/g then you could probably get away with just doing the flourish root tabs.

The AP Pharmaceuticals Test Kit is the best.

If you want plants the best kind of filters are canisters because they don't produce as much surface agitation to dissipate the co2. However, they are expensive and you can get away with a HOB in a low-tech planted tank.

I've learned soooo much through this cycle! I was in your shoes not more than a month ago. I just bought some Maylasian Driftwood from aquaticeco.com which has the best prices on driftwood around!

Also a must will be an algae scraper. I've heard the mag-floats are really good and you will scrape more if you don't have to get wet or mess with taking your hood off. If you have plants then you will want the lights on 10-12 hours and it will most likely give you quite a bit of algae (algae is usually the result of a nutrient deficiency though, so keep that in mind). Again all the plant stuff you could wait for a second order unless you are going to do a plant/silent cycle. I'm waiting till the end of my fishless cycle to get my plants. Make sure not to turn your lights on during your fishless cycle either as you don't want to promote algae, since the algea will outcompete the bacteria your trying to grow.

Also what about a heater? I was highly recommended a Jager heater. I got a 150W for my 46G. These types of heaters are a little more expensive but they are worth it because you just set the temp and don't ever have to worry about it. I also like to have a thermometer so you know for sure the heater is doing what you want. I have one of those stick on the outside cheap ones and really like it.

I have Eco-Complete plant substrate. Its black and has all different grains, sandy and gravely. I really like it and is great for planted tanks. However, it can be a little pricey and hard to find locally. I bought all of mine online.

If you don't want to get into plants as much with lighting, ferts, and co2 then your options will be smaller but its still possible to keep a few plants. Java moss is supposed to be really easy to maintain in all conditions. I'm not sure on others though.

Be careful wtih teh fish you choose. Always look at the maximum sizes fo your fish. If you get a "common pleco" they will outgrow your tank really quickly as they can get up to 18". The same with the shark. Sharks usually need a minimum of 75G unless you plan on upgrading as he gets bigger. The mollies are a good one. What about some oto catfish for cleaners instead of a pleco? They like to be in groups of 3 but they won't hurt your plants and only get to a couple inches. Instead of the shark maybe a gourami would be nice as a centerpiece fish? Gouramis can get to 4-6" and there are some dwarf varieties that only get to 2" and are very bightly colored as well. Instead of otos another good choice would be a school of 6 cories. The gourami will definitely be better than the angelfish as the angelfish can also get really big and will usually do better in a 50G + .

Back
Top Bottom