Need lighting suggestion-T5 HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrkGumby12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to add plants to my aquarium, i'm looking for a t5 ho fixture that i can use on top of my glass canopy, but it seems like any fixtures i look at, have to be screwed tight and wouldnt just sit on the rim. Are there any suggestions for any t5 ho fixtures that can just sit well with a canopy attached, as opposed to an open air tank?? thanks

P.S. i have a freshwater 36" wide 46g Bowfront, so i'd like to have 3 or 4 t5ho bulbs in the fixture

T5s produce heat so having them lifted a bit is good for air circulation. A two lamp fixture will be plenty for plants. Are you planning on having a co2 system? Aqua Nova, FishNeedIt or Odyssea make suitable fixtures for growing plants. The Odyssea units produce less light so they may be a better choice for a non co2 planted tank. The other manufacturers make higher quality units, though. Keep in mind than for freshwater more light often means more headaches.

Well no i will not have a co2 system because i have goldfish in there and the combination of food and their wastes and oxygen use should take care of that quite well. U will also be using seachem flourish tabs for my rooted plants and the liquid fundamental 3 pack from seachem as well. Do you think a co2 system would be significantly better?

It matters for lighting. The kinds of plants that can be kept with goldfish (who like to eat many plants) don't require co2. I'd recommend getting either a single T5 light strip like the Hagen (amazon sells them), or a double T5NO light fixture. The important thing is to have enough light and nothing more. Having very strong lights can make fighting algae a tough proposition unless you are dedicated to having lots of fast growing plants, and goldfish can make that hard. You can definitely have a tank full of beautiful plants with a single T5HO light and no co2.

Back
Top Bottom