Need lpts of plants id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ignore the diatoms! Dang silicates

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3304945463.jpg
    image-3304945463.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1931298360.jpg
    image-1931298360.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2005900937.jpg
    image-2005900937.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2435765092.jpg
    image-2435765092.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-890614411.jpg
    image-890614411.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 74
The first one I'm not sure. Maybe lobelia cardinalis? Next two are Hygrophilia Difformis, and the last maybe Mayaca Fluvialtis? Not sure.

EDIT: The fourth is Moneywart or Bacopa Monnieri (sp?)

The first one I'm not sure. Maybe lobelia cardinalis? Next two are Hygrophilia Difformis, and the last maybe Mayaca Fluvialtis? Not sure.

EDIT: The fourth is Moneywart or Bacopa Monnieri (sp?)

The 4th one is actually BOTH of those. They're growing together. Are you saying the little small one is water wisteria also? If you want I can pull t out of the water and take a picture

It appears to be. I'm not sure though. I like the Mayaca a lot.

It is Mayaca. The diatoms are annoying. They aren't spreading... Nor are they going away. Should I propogate all the diatom-free baby plants and just throw away all the diatom infested ones?

Diatoms are because your water has silicates in it.. You could pluck the ones with diatoms on it or wipe them off but that wont do anything but clean it for a short time.. I would honestly just get a ton of nerite snails... I have 10 in my 27g hexagon and boy.. after a few weeks all my plants are diatom free and they clean the glass too... They also don't breed like other snails... Or you could get some seachem Phos Guard or API phos zorb bags... You stick them in your HOB filter and it remove silicates and phosphates.... although plants need phosphates.. my tank is heavily planted and I haven't noticed anything odd with no phosphates in my tank... I have noticed though literally after a week using these bags my diatom problem is gone... and I had diatoms for like 8 years in my tank.. due to my city water having silicates.

Any way the plants to me look like.. 2-3 are wisteria (3 is deff a giant wisteria plant), and 4 is moneywart and the 5th looks like anacharis plant. The first one I have no idea..

Diatoms are because your water has silicates in it.. You could pluck the ones with diatoms on it or wipe them off but that wont do anything but clean it for a short time.. I would honestly just get a ton of nerite snails... I have 10 in my 27g hexagon and boy.. after a few weeks all my plants are diatom free and they clean the glass too... They also don't breed like other snails... Or you could get some seachem Phos Guard or API phos zorb bags... You stick them in your HOB filter and it remove silicates and phosphates.... although plants need phosphates.. my tank is heavily planted and I haven't noticed anything odd with no phosphates in my tank... I have noticed though literally after a week using these bags my diatom problem is gone... and I had diatoms for like 8 years in my tank.. due to my city water having silicates.

Any way the plants to me look like.. 2-3 are wisteria (3 is deff a giant wisteria plant), and 4 is moneywart and the 5th looks like anacharis plant. The first one I have no idea..

I have a few nerites. I scrubbed the whole front glass completely off and none of it grew back. All the stones I rubbed off didnt come back. The mayaca is too fragile I think to rub off the diatoms.

Only way I have found to get diatoms truly off small leafed plants like that assuming its really bad and hurting the plant is to bleach dip them for like 10-15 seconds in a 1 part bleach 20 parts water solution... I did that to my red neseae and my other fragile plants and it killed all the algae diatoms and black beard algae I had on them... it didn't hurt the plants really.. Just don't get the roots in the solution and don't do it over 30 seconds.

But yea diatoms are from silicates... and yea I know my nerites never touched my small leaf plants... ppl say oto's are good but I have 3 in my hexagon and they don't do anything.

Diatoms are self limiting and once they use excess silicates in the water they will go away on their own. The only time they really become a problem is when your tap water has a lot of silicates in it or you substrate is leaching silicates.

I do not suggest using any type of phosphate remover, which also removes silicates, in a planted tank. Not only do plants need phosphates as it is a macro nutrient, green spot algae can also become a problem when phosphate levels are too low.

Try running your lighting 6 hours a day until you get past the diatom phase or run it 4 hours, off 2 hours, and then back on 4 hours. The longer the photoperiod the more diatoms will grow.

Also there is no reason to remove plants with diatoms as they will just regrow in new plants.

Diatoms are self limiting and once they use excess silicates in the water they will go away on their own. The only time they really become a problem is when your tap water has a lot of silicates in it or you substrate is leaching silicates.

I do not suggest using any type of phosphate remover, which also removes silicates, in a planted tank. Not only do plants need phosphates as it is a macro nutrient, green spot algae can also become a problem when phosphate levels are too low.

Try running your lighting 6 hours a day until you get past the diatom phase or run it 4 hours, off 2 hours, and then back on 4 hours. The longer the photoperiod the more diatoms will grow.

Also there is no reason to remove plants with diatoms as they will just regrow in new plants.

My diatoms arent going away or continuing to spread. I've had them for over 2 months

I would guess you are at the end of the diatom stage--otos clean them off leaves so you could get some of those little cutie pies to eat them!

Two months isn't bad depending on the original level of silicates you started with.

Back
Top Bottom