Need new bio media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dont know if this is the place for this thread but i need help getting some bio media.

i cleaned my filter yesterday which has 3 trays of bio ceramic rings and some of them are starting to errode away now and i think its time i replaced them.

so was wondering what would be a effective but cheap media that i could use in my fluval 206 filter?

ive had a look at k1 media and bio balls but dont know if they are any good?

thanks

Research Sera Siporax, have heard really good things about it. Was told it beats all the rest. Urine videos of it getting tested.

... Urine videos of it getting tested.

Hahaha spell check
I've heard good things about this media as well.
Whatever you choose, I would slowly remove the existing media over time to allow proper colonization of the new media.

I use seachem matrix in all my filters and couldn't recommend it more. A great media and doesn't seem to break down like the ceramic noodles etc. also has a greater surface area than most medias so you get more BB :)

Im assuming both of these will work great in planted tanks?

Im assuming both of these will work great in planted tanks?

Yep any media is fine for planted tanks. I use filter floss to keep the water clear but a lot of people use purigon. I've never seen the point to use it as its pretty expensive and u use bleach to reset it. (Not a big fan of using bleach in my tanks)

I need to try that as I feel like my water can be clear but didn't want to spend so much money to do so.
I have an empty tray which used to have the carbon in it so could I put some in there.
The tray come just before the 3 trays of bio media

I need to try that as I feel like my water can be clear but didn't want to spend so much money to do so.
I have an empty tray which used to have the carbon in it so could I put some in there.
The tray come just before the 3 trays of bio media

Yea perfect, just stuff some filter floss in it and it should help :)

What is the difference between using sponge and filter floss

What is the difference between using sponge and filter floss

Mainly pore size and longevity.
Sponges generally have a set pore size whether it be coarse, medium, fine, etc. and will trap particles consistent with that pore size. Floss has no set pore size, per se, and what it traps is mostly influenced by how much floss is packed into a given space. Loosely packed floss will capture medium and larger particles and will be less prone to clogging. Tightly packed floss will capture finer particles and will be more prone to clogging. It's a trade off. Floss can be packed into oddly shaped or tight spaces and the same can be done with sponges to a degree.
Both sponges and floss can get rinsed clean to a point (sponges can be rinsed many many times while floss a few times IME). Floss is pretty inexpensive so sometimes it's easier just to dispose of it and use new floss.

Use a combination of bio balls sponge and filter floss.

If you can keep it contained washed perlite is a great medium. But it porous rock and floats plus it has tiny particles that needs to be rinsed out and tossed in your gardens around the house. So it has a few issues to deal with it. It's a fantastic water polisher though.

I use perlite in my Cerges Biofilter / reactor. I use filter floss to pack it down and keep it down.

Back
Top Bottom