Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

need opinion

I have been thinking about changing my 55 gallon mbuna tank before i put the fish in, into a planted aquarium this would of course mean i need to upgrade my lights and substrate as i currently am using pool filter sand not sure if i can use that and will need to get a co2 tank any suggestiosn whether i should go through with it?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pool Filter Sand is perfectly fine for plants.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Ryan, you might want ot check out the thread called "I've jumped over the planted tank fence." It basically journals my adventures, failures and successes AND COSTS of when I transferred my 55 gal from unplanted to planted. It might give you a fantastic idea of accurate pricing and what it exactly entails.

Overall it was right around $700. I had to change everything: Substrate, lights (4wpg), CO2 tank, regulator, controller, plants. Everything.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well seeing as pool filter sand is alright for plants i only need to change lights,buy a co2 tank and plants since i have all the other co2 equipment and tank equipment. Although ive also been thinking of buying a 29 gallon long or 20g long and making that planted and transfering my fish from the 10 gallon to that and keep my 55gallon mbuna. ill try to update on what i decide on.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

Either of those tanks, the 29 or the 20L, make great planted tanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would vote that you keep the munba and get a 29 gall. and plant it. more tanks the better
Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

well ill see what my money permits if i cant purchase the 29gal and set it up ill just work on my 10g i guess.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
It can get quite pricey, but I think you'll find it super rewarding to get that 29 gal up and going as a planted tank. It is a nice size tank for a planted tank. Let us know what you decide.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Ryan, get the 29 and plant it if you can. If not, plant the ten gallon and learn from it. Start smaller and see if you are really going to get into it. My first planted tank was a ten gallon. I made it look pretty nice a few times. I learned everything from that tank and a 20 gallon high. Smaller tanks are a bit tougher as there is less room for error, but you can do a nice job with them as well. The water changes are sure easier! If you can get a ride out this way I've got Turface, Eco Complete and a couple of lights I'm not using that will do a ten or 29 no problem. Got a couple of extra plants as well.
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 29 gallon that I'm in the process of planting. It really is a great size. It only took me one evening to convert from bare-bottomed nothingness into a EcoComplete substrate with lots of hardscape and plants.

Water changes take at least an hour in my experience but that might be because I'm slow/clumsy and usually make a mess that needs cleaning up.

spilzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com