need opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been thinking about changing my 55 gallon mbuna tank before i put the fish in, into a planted aquarium this would of course mean i need to upgrade my lights and substrate as i currently am using pool filter sand not sure if i can use that and will need to get a co2 tank any suggestiosn whether i should go through with it?

Ryan, you might want ot check out the thread called "I've jumped over the planted tank fence." It basically journals my adventures, failures and successes AND COSTS of when I transferred my 55 gal from unplanted to planted. It might give you a fantastic idea of accurate pricing and what it exactly entails.

Overall it was right around $700. I had to change everything: Substrate, lights (4wpg), CO2 tank, regulator, controller, plants. Everything.

Well seeing as pool filter sand is alright for plants i only need to change lights,buy a co2 tank and plants since i have all the other co2 equipment and tank equipment. Although ive also been thinking of buying a 29 gallon long or 20g long and making that planted and transfering my fish from the 10 gallon to that and keep my 55gallon mbuna. ill try to update on what i decide on.

well ill see what my money permits if i cant purchase the 29gal and set it up ill just work on my 10g i guess.

Hey Ryan, get the 29 and plant it if you can. If not, plant the ten gallon and learn from it. Start smaller and see if you are really going to get into it. My first planted tank was a ten gallon. I made it look pretty nice a few times. I learned everything from that tank and a 20 gallon high. Smaller tanks are a bit tougher as there is less room for error, but you can do a nice job with them as well. The water changes are sure easier! If you can get a ride out this way I've got Turface, Eco Complete and a couple of lights I'm not using that will do a ten or 29 no problem. Got a couple of extra plants as well.

I have a 29 gallon that I'm in the process of planting. It really is a great size. It only took me one evening to convert from bare-bottomed nothingness into a EcoComplete substrate with lots of hardscape and plants.

Water changes take at least an hour in my experience but that might be because I'm slow/clumsy and usually make a mess that needs cleaning up.

well im going to keep my 55 mbuna and im starting the cycle for it today, im going to get my 10 gallon planted and am buying a 5lb co2 tank inb a month, reason being is i don't have enough room for a 29 gallon lol so im stuck with the 10 which is ok i sort of know how to work with it as ive planted it before. Thanks for the great offer on the eco complete and plants/lighting Glen, i defianetly need a bit more substrate i only have about an inch of eco in their right now as for lighting i have a rig already built so all thats left is the plants.

Back
Top Bottom