Need Opinions/Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarist27

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im looking to add a more natural body of water look and add mosses to my Driftwood and to act as a carpet on my current all gravel bottom.
My first option I came to for the floor was java moss and that seemed like a pretty nice basic moss that would fill in nice but after a little looking I found something by the name of Fissidens splachnobryoides that stays real short but has a nice soft look with nice color (ill add the pics below) and I was wondering if anyone had any experince with this plant or suggestions in general.

Attachments

• Fissidens splachnobryoides.jpg
    Fissidens splachnobryoides.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 86
never owned it but i did research it quite a bit when i was trying to find a carpeting plant myself, it seemed like there was split advice on whether it was truely aquatic or not, this is what sent me packing, i have dealt with cool looking plants only to get burned in the past (star moss). but the people who do say that it can be grown underwater say that it needs high light and lots of co2/ferts. after knowing that i would need that i decided that if i was going to go high tech i would go with dwarf baby tears as i know they can be grown underwater.

if you do end up going with one of these plants, most are grown emmersed to begin with so there is some dieoff when you put them underwater, give it time and see if they show any new growth before you pull them from your tank

Fire moss looks pretty nice but I'm not sure if my lighting is enough or I need more and that goes for Co2 aswell

Okay guys I've done a few things. First off I trimmed whatever the plant is in the back right of my tank and spread out the trimmings aswell as added some more lights. I also switched out the traditional water blower on my filter for a tube with hole version it came with. I think it's a more gentle flow which I'm sure my gourami appreciates. There's a plant that I got on a lava rock when I first set up the tank to cycle. (possibly HC I'm really not sure) but my gourami is a pig and he has pretty much eaten it all! I thought I might try blasting it with light in the hopes of kick starting some new growth, cause there is still a lot of green, but do you think is too late an I should just take it out to be replaced with Xmas moss??

Attachments

• image-1285010991.jpg
    image-1285010991.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-112451535.jpg
    image-112451535.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom