Need planting help! Please read!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleaseHelp

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have a nice 50 gal. I have about 15 fish, all tropical community. tetras, botias, platys danios ect. My tank has a few toys and places to hide, and i want to plant it, as i am seeing these very beautiful planted tanks. I want to get something like that. I currently have a measly 3 plants, 2 are sword tails i believe, and another plant that i am not sure of the species (it's ugly and wilting) I put in co2 about once a month (it should be weekly, i know but i forget, and am not exactly inspired with just 2 healthy plants and a dying one!) I have a few concerns about planting. How do i get my plants to be bigger? Mine are about 3 inches high only! Do I have to take them out of the plastic that contains their roots that they came in to help them grow? Also, another concern is costs. Sword tails are like 5 dollars (maybe a bit more or a bit less, haven't bought plants at petsmart in months. To get a good amount of my tank planted would be a fortune! I don't want to get lots of plants for the to die, I don't have much money to waste. Please help :thanks:

P:S I am aware this was hastily written and poorly punctuated, sorry about that

If too lazy to read, i just need to know how to get mine to grow, which ones to buy, how to help them live and be pretty, and how to save money while planting the tank. Thanks a ton!

First thing when it comes to plants is know what species you have and their requirements. Much like fish, research the plant first. Some require very high lighting and co2 such as baby tears and DHG, while others can be done with very little light such as Anubias.

If you are new to the hobby I would stick with low light plants:

Hornwort
Java Fern
Java moss
Anubias
Water sprite
Bacopa caroliniana
Pennywort
Moneywort
Etc

All of those are pretty easy to take care of.

One of the biggest factors to make sure your plants are successful is lighting. What fixture do you have?

Another thing is nutrients. Do you dose any fertilizers?

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom