Need Quick responses please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandmaner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I have a 85 Gallon Flat back Hex tank. It's 4feet long, about 24inches in height and roughly 18inches from front to back.. very odd design. But I got the tank and stand and toppers.. for only 300$ so was a pretty good deal for the footprint I think. But my real reason for this post is I have 2 scarlet angels, 5 speckled cories, and 2 albino. I also have 2 platys and one glofish. There where more platys and glofish.. about 2years ago when I got them. These are my soul survivors, which is the only reason I never got rid of them. Oh almost forgot, I had bought 2 red hifinned plecos about a month ago.. but within 2 days one died.. but the other is still thriving just fine, not sure what happened, but I decied one would be enough for my tank. Because I Leave my lights on almost 14hrs a day (turn on before I leave for work, and off a few hours after I get home.) and still almost no algae at all plus i have to feed him veggies. (I like well balanced diets.) I'm able to go pick up a 2nd Red Hifin from the lfs if I need it because I told them it died and there willing to replace it free of charge, but I told them I'd take the 11.99$ store credit for now. My question here is about stocking.. I am slowly planting this tank, right now i have a java fern, and two unknown plants I'll try to get pics of and upload. I want to know how many more corries I should add, if I'm able to add more angels.. or if I should do another center piece fish.. Also on the platys/glofish if I should make the schools bigger or what.. any advice is welcome. Right now I'm running a 55g rated filter that i got with a 55g tank setup that comes all in one.. from my first tank. (I know i need to upgrade just didn't seem necessary without a big bio load.) I only have two lights right now soon to buy a 3rd to fill in the top. Right now I have 1 4foot single bulb fixture with a 40watt bulb at 10,000k, and one 3 foot single bulb fixture with a 20watt bulb at 6,500k. (I think the bulb itself is only 2 foot..) I was wondering if this is enough light for a low-medium light tank or if I should think about upgrade my light or just adding the 2nd 3 foot single bulb fixture (Its all that I can fit in the already built hood.. ) Or go with a double or three bulb 4foot fixture (That is if its alot skinner then using one single 4foot and 1 single 3foot.. other wise it isn't going to fit either.) I may even just need to find a different filter because right now that's whats making putting lights in the hood hard, is the filter water splashing up near them because of the way this tank has been alter. It's really hard to explain but if I can find my usb adapter for my camera you can BET I'll have some pics up asap. But please answer my questions in all this randomness as hard as it may be to pick them out so I'll relist them here at the end.

Stocking suggestions.
Lighting Suggestions.
Filter Suggestions.

Thank you!

Ok... For filters... You looking for a canister filter, or a HOB? Usually, most people go canister once they get over 75 gallons... And since I'm still below that... Not much help there lol.

For lighting... What plants you have in there again?

For fish... Current stocking again? Sorry... Long post... Hard to keep everything straight.

In general... Did you cycle the tank? Do you have a test kit? If so... Water parameters? Is the test strips or liquid? What brand?

Sorry for all the questions. :)

Alright, It's actually over 75gallons.. its a 85 Gallon Flat back hexagon, and I am strongly considering a canister filter.. but need something affordable.. on a budget. I want lighting that can do any medium to low light. Yes the tank is cycled, water gets tested EVERY week at my LFS and everything is 0. Current stocking is 2 Scarlet Angels, 5 Speckled Corries, 2 Albino Corries, 2 Platys, 1 Glofish and 1 Red Spotted Hifin pleco. (Not sure of its actual name but thats what the LFS called it.. and looks a hella lot like the ones I've seen online with a similar name.) Well thanks for even having a response! Was getting worried ;D

Ok... So no nitrates? Sounds like a faulty kit. I strongly suggest you buy your own API freshwater master kit... That'll save you money in both gas and fish. For lighting, plant people say compact fluorescents are the way to go. For medium to low light plants, about 3 watts per gallon should be good. You'll need root tabs for the plants in the substrate to grow, especially if you have gravel, and a good 3 inches of substrate as well. For fish, your going to need about 9 more glofish so they can school properly. As a centerpiece fish, I'd personally put a rainbow shark in it. Rams, and keyhole cichlids are also good fits. For filters... I know people like the penguin, fluval, and Rena canister filters. But I'm not sure where they are $ wise.

3wpg on a 75 gal tank is a lot of light unless you intend to inject co2 and have a robust fertilizing regiment.

On that size tank, a dual t5ho fixture would allow you to grow a lot of low and some medium light plants. But, if it's a hex... How deep is it?

CF bulbs are great for smaller tanks, but not on a tank that large.

Its a 85 Gallon FLAT back hex.. so its a standard 4foot long, and only 24inches high, and about 18inches in depth. It's a very nice tank.. and I was thinking 2-3 compacts T5's would make a great fit (at 48inch fixture.) I could probally do even a 4bulb fixture if I get a canister filter. ALso my substrate is sand, its about 3 to 3 1/2 inches deep. I don't have root tabs yet but only a few low light plants and they seem okay.. but only had them fora week so no way of really telling yet! Thanks for all the input so far, this tank is low-tech no Co2. Keep the advice and comments coming!

Compact and t5 is not the same thing. Check fishneedit.com for good prices on a t5ho fixture... They seem to be about the best deal lately. If you went with a four bulb fixture, you will need co2 injection, or you would need to run 2 actinics in it until you upgraded to co2.

4Ft/4Bulbs fixture well I was looking at this fixture.. for 140$ bucks its hard to beat. What I can't figure out is why its asking how many "White" bulbs and blue bulbs I want and at what K rating.. I'm not really sure. So any input would be nice. and I want the 4 bulb fixture to do like 2day bulbs and 2 night bulbs.. because we love watching the tank with just the small 3foot light on in the evenings because the pleco and everything else comes out then and is so lifefull.

Alright thanks! and one day I do plan to do Co2 but not until I get alot more settled in a tank I want to keep LONG term.. so probally not until I get a 150+ tank size. What I really want is a 8ft long x 3ft depth x 2-3ft height tank. Not sure what size that'd be but it'd be just perfect haha.

Yes they do its very odd.. because when I had 5 of each they stuck to there own groups, now with only 2 albinos left they just joined hte speckled.

Yea. and a huge update.. a guy at work said his girlfriend has a 55g she no longer uses.. he's going to ask her tonight if I can have it!! WOOT 2 tanks!

Back
Top Bottom