Need some (asap =) ) help (water/change/etc)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsterz3ro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Forum-

I haven't been here for a while- I had been somewhat active a few months ago when I first received my aquarium. I have a weird little 56 gal column aquarium (odd dimensions...getting my lighting situation resolved has been a pain =) )...I have a few live plants (pic attached- had the plant names written down on my aquarium pad, but the gf's dumb shar pei ate it...maybe someone could identify some or any of them by the photo), as well as 6 scissortails and 1 tangerine angelfish. I just added three of the scissortails, the three plants at right, and the angelfish, yesterday. I know this is really pushing it (in terms of adding too much at once) but I hadn't planned on adding so much...just sort of happens sometimes, when you take a girlfriend who doesn't take "no" often, to the store with you.

Anyway, water is understandably a little cloudy, though mostly settled down.

I think got some bad advice, in that I was told I'd be fine with a 50-gallon filter (AquaClear Power Filter [20 - 50 gal rated]). I have a couple of big rocks in there that offset maybe a gallon? But I think especially with live plants, I'm pushing it.

I just tested my water, and got the following results

pH = 7.6 (didn't do the "high pH test", but the normal pH test went to the upper limit).

Ammonia = <.25 PPM (somewhere in between 0 and .25, looks closer in color to .25 than 0)

Nitrate = 20 PPM(?) (again, hard to match the color, somewhere north of 10 ppm but below 40 ppm)

I am going to do a water change/vacuum some gravel today. How much do I need to change? Also, it occurred to me that I'm overdue to change one of the components of the filter. I remember the woman at the pet store saying alternate each month which of the three components I change (foam filter, carbon insert, "biomax" insert)...I will be upgrading to a larger filter in the next week or two, unless someone gives me the wonderful news that I don't need to get a bigger filter...but, I'm not holding my breath on that...

So ok. My questions:

1. Any way I can make this work without the upgrade?

2. If(WHEN) I get the new filter (70 gal filter I guess?), how should I make the transition? Run both together for a while to let the new one get established, or is there risk of "over-cleaning" the water?

3. Should I not bother changing water today if I'm going to swap out the whole filter sometime this week?

4. Anyone have any ideas what kind of plants I have? =)

5. Why is my pH so high? The fish *seem* fine, but I have read that angelfish like a lower pH and (per the seemingly knowledgeable guy at exotic aquatics) the scissortails will be ok in a lower pH aquarium...should I just buy pH Down or is this high pH indicative of some problem I'm having? Haven't tested my tap water, but haven't put in new water in a couple of weeks and would have thought the pH would drop by now even if the tap water had a higher pH.

Sorry if my questions are a little all-over-the-place...

Anyway, if anyone's around today, I'd appreciate any feedback/advice/knowledge.

Thanks ahead of time! =)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Hi Forum-

So ok. My questions:

1. Any way I can make this work without the upgrade?

2. If(WHEN) I get the new filter (70 gal filter I guess?), how should I make the transition? Run both together for a while to let the new one get established, or is there risk of "over-cleaning" the water?

3. Should I not bother changing water today if I'm going to swap out the whole filter sometime this week?

4. Anyone have any ideas what kind of plants I have? =)

5. Why is my pH so high? The fish *seem* fine, but I have read that angelfish like a lower pH and (per the seemingly knowledgeable guy at exotic aquatics) the scissortails will be ok in a lower pH aquarium...should I just buy pH Down or is this high pH indicative of some problem I'm having? Haven't tested my tap water, but haven't put in new water in a couple of weeks and would have thought the pH would drop by now even if the tap water had a higher pH.

Sorry if my questions are a little all-over-the-place...

Anyway, if anyone's around today, I'd appreciate any feedback/advice/knowledge.

Thanks ahead of time! =)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

First off, I didn't see any nitrIte (no2) readings and they're very important to know.

1) As for upgrading, it depends on the plants so go to plantgeek.net and figure out what you have and want in your tank.

2) I'd suggest going for another AC50 and running both if they fit. 2 filters do better than 1, no matter what size you have (canisters is another subject). But if you decide to drop one, leave the old one running for 2 weeks after you add the 2nd filter.

3) PWC should be a weekly must IMO for any tank. If it's severely understocked, every 2 weeks is OK.

4) Nope, sorry. Again plantgeek.net is your best friend here :D.

5) Fish adjust to pH and as long as you don't have big swings (up/down) and it's a reasonable level (7.6 is great IMO) you have nothing to worry about.

1. The current filter will turn your water over maybe 4 times per hour.
It may be fine if you keep your fish load low enough. I would just continue to test water parameters but it certainly wouldn't hurt to upgrade, and may be necessary, depending on the parameters over time.

2. Just put the currrent media in the new filter. Maybe even add the new media if you can make it fit, the bio-max and sponge. But definately use your current media.

3. Should not matter. Do a change of water if ammo etc is rising.

4. Cannot help with plants sorry.

5. Seems to be consistent ph level is more important than the actual number, so if you have steady 7.6 or whatever, the fish should adapt.
I personally wouldn't add any chemicals to try to control it.

I am no expert but I feel this is safe advice. Also, do not toss out your bio-max media. Just give it a light quick rinse in aquarium water (during a water change). Same goes for the sponge, unless it is so old it is falling apart.

Good luck

Just tested nitrites, 0 PPM.

I have to say, I'm shocked (and quite pleased) that the water seems so under-control =)

Also, thank you for the reference to plantgeek...so far, it looks like I have "Carolina Fanwort", though these are considerably darker in color than the picture, and, the description makes no mention of blossoms, and several of these have small white flower buds at the top of the stalks...I'm continuing to look (I had the scientific name written down, and of course none of these names are ringing a bell).

Sounds like the consensus is that the pH isn't alarmingly high, and if it remains steady, it should be ok. What a relief.

I intend to add a few more plants, one more angelfish (so this lil thing has a buddy), and 3 - 6 more scissortails...I assume at that point I'd need a second filter. Or, would this still be considered a low enough load that I could still try my luck with just one filter, and just keep an eye on the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia levels and buy another filter as necessary?

Thanks both of you for your (quick!) responses btw. =)

Just tested nitrites, 0 PPM.

I have to say, I'm shocked (and quite pleased) that the water seems so under-control =)

Also, thank you for the reference to plantgeek...so far, it looks like I have "Carolina Fanwort", though these are considerably darker in color than the picture, and, the description makes no mention of blossoms, and several of these have small white flower buds at the top of the stalks...I'm continuing to look (I had the scientific name written down, and of course none of these names are ringing a bell).

Sounds like the consensus is that the pH isn't alarmingly high, and if it remains steady, it should be ok. What a relief.

I intend to add a few more plants, one more angelfish (so this lil thing has a buddy), and 3 - 6 more scissortails...I assume at that point I'd need a second filter. Or, would this still be considered a low enough load that I could still try my luck with just one filter, and just keep an eye on the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia levels and buy another filter as necessary?

Thanks both of you for your (quick!) responses btw. =)

Great!

IMO, your water is in great shape, keep up the good work :D. The only thing I can say that you're not on the ball about is pics, we need pics please! lol

For your tank setup go to aqadvisor.com and use their engine to rate your system and it gives you a different take on what's what, but I don't really take what they have to say as an absolute just so you know.

Back
Top Bottom