Need some black out advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b4tn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to start over fresh and resent the tank so to speak. I noticed my water clouding more than usual so I did a water change and my floss was bright green. I decreased my lighting from 12 to 10 hours and thismorning the clouding was even worse not to mention the fine green algae all over everything else. I sat down and read Tom Barrs article on the EI method and I think I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done now.

So I want to try and start over with a blackout. I did a water change and covered the tank. I plan on blacking out for 3 days changing the floss in my canister filter every day. I was going to drop an airstone in for airation but what about CO2 injection and dosing? Should I stop for 3 days until I turn the lights back on and do the final water change?

You, have, I assume, live plants in your tank? Personally, I would slow CO2 output, but not stop it completely...but I have not had to do a complete, 3-day blackout on any planted tank that was CO2 injected, so I am not sure if simply shutting off the CO2 might not be marginally better.

I've always done blackouts while leaving the CO2 running but I use a pH controller so I never had to worry about it building up. If you're not using a pH controller I agree with Toirtis, turn it down a bit to avoid any possible build-ups, but don't turn it completely off. The airstone is also a good idea. Also consider keeping the tank temp at 77F or lower during the blackout as most algae does better above 77F. Good luck :)

I do have a controller So I will keep the CO2 up. What about dosing ferts? Should I keep my normal dosing routine?

Blackout is doing wonders. Its only been two days, no dosing, and CO2 is set at 40ppm. I have been peaking daily with a flash light and it looks like the green carpet of Algae I had on the substrate is gone and the green algae on plant leaves is nearly gone.

Its funny though, looks like my plants have continued to grow and grow fast. I am going to have to do a hefty trim once I turn the lights back on. I also noticed a bunch of worms swimming in the water. I researched them and even got a name for them but I dont recall right now but from what I gather they are harmless.

Since I put my CO2 to diffused through the canister filter I feel I am getting much better distribution than the little ladder in the back from before. With a little more knowledge on dosing if all goes well i will keep the algae under control this time.

Back
Top Bottom