Need some Expert Lighting Advice Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys, could you possibly help me with a lighting question? Im still a little noobish when it comes to correct lighting, but learning alot fast. I currently have a 55 gallon long tank with an Aqueon T5 dual fixture. It seems to work well. Here is a pic of it.

I just recently picked up a new 75 gallon long tank that I will be dirting and getting set up for heavy planting. I would really prefer to have an LED light with moonlighting features for this tank. I was looking at THIS light.

SO my question is will this LED light be sufficient enough to grow my plants? OR should I just get another Aqueon T5 light for this tank? I would rather better growth for the plants than the "Moonlighting" feature. My goal will be to install a C02 system and carpet baby tears or glossostigma.

Any other lighting suggestions for my tank are greatly appreciated!
Tank is 48 L x 20 H x 18 D :thanks:

img_3187225_0_0517c1076b99954fa4a6a7186f555ff2.jpg

2 of them would get you your carpet.. I'd suggest looking into a Current satellite plus pro or ecoexotic eseries first if the budget privides..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 of them would get you your carpet.. I'd suggest looking into a Current satellite plus pro or ecoexotic eseries first if the budget privides..

So would I need 2 of the Current Satellite Plu Pro or could I get by with 1?
That light is not that much more, and I really like all those features I would get for the extra cost. (y)

So would I need 2 of the Current Satellite Plu Pro or could I get by with 1?
That light is not that much more, and I really like all those features I would get for the extra cost. (y)

Oops sorry.. meant 2 finnex.
One sat plus pro would do.the trick me thinks. Thumper828 rocks 2 ecoexotic on his 75, it's pretty amazing what's he's accomplished. The eco and pro are pretty close in the par dept. I'd suggest staring with one until you get a feel.for the setup..

Oops sorry.. meant 2 finnex.
One sat plus pro would do.the trick me thinks. Thumper828 rocks 2 ecoexotic on his 75, it's pretty amazing what's he's accomplished. The eco and pro are pretty close in the par dept. I'd suggest staring with one until you get a feel.for the setup..

2 Finnex = $260+
1 Sat Plus Pro = $150

Hmmmmm.... I think 1 Sat Pro! lol :D

2 Finnex = $260+
1 Sat Plus Pro = $150

Hmmmmm.... I think 1 Sat Pro! lol :D

Idk where you are getting your numbers. The cheapest ive seen the satellite plus pro is like 240ish for the 48-60in (i assume she would need this size on a 75gal). I would recommend either the sat plus pro, or wait until May 15th as Finnex is releasing their new planted+ 24/7 model which is sure to be awesome!

Idk where you are getting your numbers. The cheapest ive seen the satellite plus pro is like 240ish for the 48-60in (i assume she would need this size on a 75gal). I would recommend either the sat plus pro, or wait until May 15th as Finnex is releasing their new planted+ 24/7 model which is sure to be awesome!

Im a retard! Thanks man, I was looking at the smaller version. :banghead:
How much do you think the Finnex will be, and do you think it will be better than the Sat Pro? :thanks:

EDIT: Is this the one you are talking about?

How much do you think the Finnex will be, and do you think it will be better than the Sat Pro? :thanks:

I was just talking to a rep from Finnex yesterday, trying to have them give me one to test. They said its much like the sat pro plus, with a few new features.

In my opinion, its Finnex's answer to the sat plus pro. I just compared the two and wattage wise, the sat pro plus will still have more watts than the comparable sized new finnex model.

This solidifies the fact that the satellite is the way to go!

And yes, thats the one!

I don't think the par is as high an the 24/7 as it is on the plus pro or the E series full spectrum.
Here is the E series
img_3187318_0_e1c28f71dc380f7196b114cb5b4a4e97.jpg

EDIT: Is this the one you are talking about?

No you're certainly not that even if you are..

check out pricing on the 48"-64" current plus proo model not just plus and the 48" finnex planted plus

I was just talking to a rep from Finnex yesterday, trying to have them give me one to test. They said its much like the sat pro plus, with a few new features.

In my opinion, its Finnex's answer to the sat plus pro. I just compared the two and wattage wise, the sat pro plus will still have more watts than the comparable sized new finnex model.

This solidifies the fact that the satellite is the way to go!

And yes, thats the one!

You did huh?? They havn't released they're answer to the sat pro yet nor would they simply lend you this un released led to try on your tank sir.. let's keep it non fiction please;)

I don't think the par is as high an the 24/7 as it is on the plus pro or the E series full spectrum.
Here is the E series
img_3187326_0_e1c28f71dc380f7196b114cb5b4a4e97.jpg

Yes, the 24/7 only has 48 watts i think whereas this has 54 and the sat plus pro has 60. (I forget the PAR ratings)

It would appear Finnexs attempt at keeping up isnt going well!

Yes, the 24/7 only has 48 watts i think whereas this has 54 and the sat plus pro has 60. (I forget the PAR ratings)

It would appear Finnexs attempt at keeping up isnt going well!

Ughhh... you don't know what your talking about.. watts are a scribbled technicality with leds, do you under stand par?? Finnex actually had the upper hand in this dept., current had rgb's and gimmicks which I like by the way. No par.. while the current sat plus grew plants it was limited to certain tanks, still is.. finnex planted plus was a power house with 660nm reds to boot wrapped up at a neat price.. that light on a 12" tall tank will do work. Now I've bit my tongue for a while but im done.. really man.. if you want to spout off about fish and plants and anemome?? Fine.. don't care.. when you start talking about potentially spending other people's money on something you have no.firsthand knowledge with?? Problem for me..
Just in case youre wondering what gives me the right??
3 finnex planted plus
2 current sat plus
Finnex stingray
Bml
And countless crap fixtures donated to Craigslist reptile tanks.
You can't simply cut and paste credibility. I applaud your enthusiasm but you're not fooling anyone man, reflects poorly in the long haul. We want to help afterall.

plus pro at 12" par 100
E series at 12" par 105
24/7 I believe is listed here in another thread but I cant find it.
EDIT : Listen to what Brookster said His hard earned money and experience with the LED's is where its at

Ughhh... you don't know what your talking about.. watts are a scribbled technicality with leds, do you under stand par?? Finnex actually had the upper hand in this dept., current had rgb's and gimmicks which I like by the way. No par.. while the current sat plus grew plants it was limited to certain tanks, still is.. finnex planted plus was a power house with 660nm reds to boot wrapped up at a neat price.. that light on a 12" tall tank will do work. Now I've bit my tongue for a while but im done.. really man.. if you want to spout off about fish and plants and anemome?? Fine.. don't care.. when you start talking about potentially spending other people's money on something you have no.firsthand knowledge with?? Problem for me..
Just in case youre wondering what gives me the right??
3 finnex planted plus
2 current sat plus
Finnex stingray
Bml
And countless crap fixtures donated to Craigslist reptile tanks.
You can't simply cut and paste credibility. I applaud your enthusiasm but you're not fooling anyone man, reflects poorly in the long haul. We want to help afterall.

Sorry for trying to help and contribute. Even if i dont have first hand knowledge I can still look up specs and pass them on. Thats all im doing.

Im also curious as to why you are posting this because as we talked about yesterday, the sat plus pro is the way to go. You said it yourself. Thats all I was trying to convey here.

I guess ill just stop posting.

plus pro at 12" par 100
E series at 12" par 105
24/7 I believe is listed here in another thread but I cant find it.
EDIT : Listen to what Brookster said His hard earned money and experience with the LED's is where its at

Ive always listened to him. I bought a satellite plus pro based on his word alone. Ive been trying to get him to answer some other questions for me, but hasn't responded yet, even though I value his opinion the most on here.

All I have ever done here is try to help people.

No you're certainly not that even if you are..

check out pricing on the 48"-64" current plus proo model not just plus and the 48" finnex planted plus

You did huh?? They havn't released they're answer to the sat pro yet nor would they simply lend you this un released led to try on your tank sir.. let's keep it non fiction please;)

Why are you personally attacking me on this thread? What have I done to you? Please, enlighten me.

The reason I joined this forum was to learn, and as I learned, to help people just like me who know nothing. Youre right, im not as well-versed as you on the subject. You clearly have more experience, you win.

All I am trying to do is help. I was emailing a rep from Finnex. I knew getting an unreleased finnex setup was a longshot but figured it was worth the email, and youre right (again) they wouldn't let me test one. Honestly, wasn't a surprise as I said it was a longshot.

Up until today you have been very helpful and very friendly. I don't know if youre having a bad day or something but its unfair to take it out on me, someone whose just trying to help others the way YOU have helped me. I used to look up to you for advice on things, hence our conversation last night. After all this, my respect for you has really gone downhill. There's no need to be this rude to someone trying to help people and discuss aquariums, after all, isn't that what we are here to do?

If you truly cared, you would try to help me understand things better so I could better contribute to posts, not attack me in front of everyone on the forums. Read the PM I sent you, I want to learn, from someone like you, without that person being a dick.

Why are you personally attacking me on this thread? What have I done to you? Please, enlighten me.

The reason I joined this forum was to learn, and as I learned, to help people just like me who know nothing. Youre right, im not as well-versed as you on the subject. You clearly have more experience, you win.

All I am trying to do is help. I was emailing a rep from Finnex. I knew getting an unreleased finnex setup was a longshot but figured it was worth the email, and youre right (again) they wouldn't let me test one. Honestly, wasn't a surprise as I said it was a longshot.

Up until today you have been very helpful and very friendly. I don't know if youre having a bad day or something but its unfair to take it out on me, someone whose just trying to help others the way YOU have helped me. I used to look up to you for advice on things, hence our conversation last night. After all this, my respect for you has really gone downhill. There's no need to be this rude to someone trying to help people and discuss aquariums, after all, isn't that what we are here to do?

If you truly cared, you would try to help me understand things better so I could better contribute to posts, not attack me in front of everyone on the forums. Read the PM I sent you, I want to learn, from someone like you, without that person being a dick.

Im not attacking anyone.. so sensitive. I'm calling you out on your less than informative posting. Surely you can appreciate that??

Light are good.

That is all.

:)

Doesn't need to be like that.. just put more thought into posts or pass.. anyone can google, cut and paste. Anyone who's been here long enough knows what's what man.. I'm really not trying to bring you down, more so elevate you. You seem to have a keen interest in the hobby and we can always use quality help:)

Doesn't need to be like that.. just put more thought into posts or pass.. anyone can google, cut and paste. Anyone who's been here long enough knows what's what man.. I'm really not trying to bring you down, more so elevate you. You seem to have a keen interest in the hobby and we can always use quality help:)

I hear ya man, im just the type of person that doesn't react well to "tough love" i guess youd say. No worries. I have learned so much in the first week of having the tank, and i owe alot of my knowledge to you!

Back
Top Bottom