Need Suggestion for cheap fast growing plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chat_patta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi:
I had a planted tank with different variety of plants (hornwort, red tiger lotus, banana plants, amazon sword, java fern, java moss ...), all were destroyed :eek: by brownish algae, now I am left only with Anubias's two variety only. I need to replant my tank quickly (to get back into the cycle).

My tank is 45G, with 3" ;) substrate consisting CaribSea Eco-Complete+Caribsea Flora-Max Sand+Flourite. I do have CO2 injection system.

The Community consists of 2 Angel, 1 Clown loach, 3 Siamese Algae Eaters, 4 Red Wagtail Platys, 2 Dwarf Gourami and 2 White Tip Tetras. Timered Fluval adjustable light. My pH is consistently between 6.8 - 7.5, KH (9dKH) and GH (196 ppm or TDS = 500 - 600 ppm) :banghead: I know are currently quite high, trying to reduce them with frequent RO water changes (5G/day).

Any suggestion regarding the type of plants and where to buy them from would be highly appreciated.

Thanks; :thanks:

Last edited:
Water sprite. Brown algae is diatom. Not an algae but a animal. It feeds on silicate. Control the silicate and the brown goes away.

Thanks Magnum 350

Thanks Magnum 350, I will cut down on my feed to reduce silicate and also try to acquire from net some water sprite.
In Canister Filter besides three layered mechanical and Biohome, I have now a layer of Purigen (Seachem) and Clearmax (Fluval) to reduce phosphate and nitrate. :dance:

Silicate comes from the water. Example if your water that you use in tank change comes from a well and that water passes through rocks that are high in silicate you will have a high silicate level in that water. Research diatoms and silicate.

Hey Magnum 350, thanks again for the guidance. I did the Homework....... :D
I use RO water, so I think all the phosphate comes from my over feeding and may be from decayed plants. I have cut down my feeding drastically, cleaned up my substrate (vaccuming) and hopefully will loose my diatoms for good.
Regards;

Last edited:
Hey Magnum 350, thanks again for the guidance. I did the Homework....... :D
I use RO water, so I think all the phosphate comes from my over feeding and may be from decayed plants. I have cut down my feeding drastically, cleaned up my substrate (vaccuming) and hopefully will loose my diatoms for good.
Regards;

Do u dose any ferts at all? Flourish and excel? Or dry ferts? Low light in guessing?

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Hi Bert2oo1: I do plan to use but because of diatoms I did not, sometimes in the early days did use Flourish Tabs about 2 to 3 total (around the plants) ..........

What kind of lighting are you using?
Once you fill the tank with plants, vacuuming the substrate may become a thing of the past. I have not vacuumed my planted tank in over 3 years.
Depending on the lighting, a water column fertilizer should help. Phosphates are not as bad as one would believe in a FW planted tank. I triple dose my tank with phosphate. Else, I see an outbreak of GSA (green spot algae) on the glass and plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom