Needle Valve - Replacement already?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tim_s said:
Red Sea Reactor that comes with the Red Sea co2 pro kit.

I just cleaned it just in-case!

Most people with my setup just place the output into the inlet of their return pump but I am running the sponges at the moment.

I might remove the reactor but it appears to do a decent job.

Oh yeah, you have the kit. I used the same reactor for four years and it was fine. I have an inline ISTA MixMax now but honestly, I have to keep a faster bps rate to get the same co2 level with the ISTA vs the Red Sea reactor. The ISTA should be more efficient but for whatever reason it isn't. Makes no sense.

I'll say this, your reactor shouldn't have any effect on your co2 system pressure at all. It's basically the same as injecting it into a canister, flow wise. It doesn't produce any back pressure whatsoever. The problem has to be with either the needle valve or something crazy like a check valve installed backwards. It isn't impossible that it's the regulator but the needle valve is easier and cheaper to rule out. If you could email Red Sea they should send you a new one. The system has a good warrantee. If you got the kit from amazon they may even be able to replace the whole kit since it's so new. I can't say about other venders.

Oh yeah, you have the kit. I used the same reactor for four years and it was fine. I have an inline ISTA MixMax now but honestly, I have to keep a faster bps rate to get the same co2 level with the ISTA vs the Red Sea reactor. The ISTA should be more efficient but for whatever reason it isn't. Makes no sense.

True but I can always get it higher with ease, just over time it seems to fade out and this is the confusion.

It is something very consistent I.e. it happens religiously with the same results.

Could it be my tank is running out of Co2 (It shouldn't) but is it possible?

I'll say this, your reactor shouldn't have any effect on your co2 system pressure at all. It's basically the same as injecting it into a canister, flow wise. It doesn't produce any back pressure whatsoever. The problem has to be with either the needle valve or something crazy like a check valve installed backwards. It isn't impossible that it's the regulator but the needle valve is easier and cheaper to rule out. If you could email Red Sea they should send you a new one. The system has a good warrantee. If you got the kit from amazon they may even be able to replace the whole kit since it's so new. I can't say about other venders.

I am passed the return policy for the company I bought it from and Red Seas does not have an office in my country. I can try contacting the US and see if they will help -- My regulator is doing something interesting -- possibly normal.

My working pressure is bouncing,

I would say it is dropping 2 PSI and regaining.

I.e.

If you count 3 seconds the working pressure will dip from 1.2 Bar to 1 Bar and then immediately back up again.

tim_s said:
So if you stare at your working pressure, it is not moving even in the slightest?

No. Not in the slightest. Not ever. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to what could cause that. So odd.

It should not be bouncing.

I think you have a defective unit. I would try to return/exchange it.

I would say it is only moving a degree. I am not taking a big swing - again might not be of help but went upstairs and saw the BPS back at 1 and I tapped the needle valve and it went back to normal.

Shame this co2 seems to have a lot of bad luck here.

I have never observed the gauge moving at all on it's own, not even a degree.

fort384 said:
I have never observed the gauge moving at all on it's own, not even a degree.

Same here, and I have the exact same kit as the OP. The regulator is rock steady and the flow is dead on.

Also, I've never had to change my bps from the needle valve due to inconsistency. It goes for months on end consistently right up until I have to change the tank or clean out the reactor.

Emailed Red Sea - see what they say.

Hopefully I will get this sorted soon - I seem so close to getting this going.

Really to me this seems like either a leak or a blockage and I have not found it.

I am leaning more towards blockage,

IF I had a blockage I would see a possible oddity with the needle valve like I am seeing with a restriction of flow.

IF I had a blockage that was causing a fluctuating back pressure the regulator is going to show oddities like a bouncing needle.

I might just take the whole thing apart and put it back together.

My other guess would be - my CO2 is low but I would not expect any oddities until it is really low. I have noticed my cylinder pressure changing which yes normally indicates a low tank. ISSUE is the room fluctuates in temperature to the point it is challenging to diagnose.

Just closing the window brings the temperature of the tank up 3 degrees F.

Alrighty! - Red Sea contacted me this morning my regulator is faulty and they are replacing this immediately.

Excellent. They have always seemed like a decent and responsible company. I am glad they jumped on this so quickly for you.

That's great news. I've dealt with Red Sea representatives before and that is exactly the response I expected. Customer service from them is one step beyond first rate in my opinion.

How long did it take them to get back to you?

Road Block # 1: No receipt to be found lol

They are super friendly, took less than 24 hours -- receipt problem might get in the way LOL

Anyone recommend a new system?

Alright-y - An update:

So my regulator was faulty, Red Sea did an amazing job on the support side but I had to wait 2 weeks for delivery (Which is not an issue) but when the box arrived it looked like someone absolutely kicked the **** out of it.

The connector which was pretty tough was just embedded into the regulator and I could not remove it to include the solenoid directly.

I know this was most probably the fault of the delivery company but I am too impatient to try and resolve this matter and wait another 2 weeks. Plants where looking rough.

I went out and bought a Milwaukee regulator and to my luck (I even reviewed the unit in the store) there was a small crack in bubble counter.

*Tried it anyways - it leaks* - Wife told me to go buy a lottery ticket right now.

So I have used the regulator from Milwaukee and the rest is Red Sea and I actually think I have the best of both running right now from the two companies.

Day 2 and everything is going well! The drop checker is confirming the presence of a drop in pH and the bubble counter has been pretty stable!

The plants are starting to stand back up and the sea grass is going bonkers and sending runners all over the place.

Lights turn back on a full light cycle and I am EI dosing.

I am hoping in a week or two I can start getting some pictures going because other than the Discus the tank was little a *basic*.

I will update the thread again - thanks to everyone who helped me diagnose the issue.

What rotten luck, good grief! I'm glad to hear your system is up and running at least. I guess you can't fault either company for damage due to shipping. You definitely have the right attitude about all this. I'd still contact Red Sea for a functional replacement. You had to buy 2 regulators and still only have one. It would be nice to have a back-up reg just in case the situation takes another nosedive.

I thought I had bad luck. :eek:

What rotten luck, good grief! I'm glad to hear your system is up and running at least. I guess you can't fault either company for damage due to shipping. You definitely have the right attitude about all this. I'd still contact Red Sea for a functional replacement. You had to buy 2 regulators and still only have one. It would be nice to have a back-up reg just in case the situation takes another nosedive.

I thought I had bad luck. :eek:

For sure!, I am just avoiding the 2 week wait :)

Back
Top Bottom