Neglected plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok. I have been neglecting my tank a bit of late as my CO2 diffusor (powerhead for mist) broke and I have simply not had the time to make another one. I also slacked off on ferts. I think I am incredibly lucky that the only algae I have developed is a little bit of BBA on the underside (?!) of my driftwood. My DIY CO2 is back up and running, and I plan on doing some testing and resuming ferts (not EI, just as needed, as I am not high light).

Since everything has stopped, my plants have effectively stopped growing, with the tips of the H. polysperma and stricta curling, and in the polysperma, getting pin-holes in all the older leaves. They also tend to fall off a lot. The swords (amazon and osiris, in different tanks but same situation) also have their older leaves going yellow/brown/transparent in areas, rotting away, leaving the veins and then disintegrating.

Now, I am led to believe this is a K deficiency. But my question is: if I have stopped adding C, and growth has all but stopped, why do I have a K deficiency? Surely they are using significantly less K now that they are C-limited?

I have actually continued dosing K (in the form of Yates "Sulfate of Potassium", a gardening fertilizer that other aquarists I know use) every few days to try and keep on top of this, but nothing has changed at all, and I'm wondering if it's not K related at all. Could these symptoms be C-related instead? Oh how I wish there was a decent hobby test for K!

Thoughts?

IME pinholes can definately be caused by K deficiency. That being said, they won't fill in by resuming K dosing and it will take a week or two for new growth to be healthy.

The old growth of your swords disintegrating seems like N deficiency to me and the brittle leaves and stems are usually a symptom of P deficiency.

Your lighting will cause the plants to continue to TRY to grow and K as well as N are "mobile" nutrients. The plants will pull them from old growth to supply the needs of new growth which is limited by low CO2.

Back
Top Bottom