New 120g take over convert from salt to fresh planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The bf is taking over the salt water tank at his work and planning to switch over to fresh planted. Fun right?! We're in the planning stage. Finding homes for the tang, clown fish, and starfish at our favorite mom and pop lfs. The tank has a big sump and a cheap made in China canister filter.

We are trying to decide to what to put in the tank so that we can plan accordingly. One side of the tank is facing the cat boarders and the other faces the lobby so we are thinking something colorful and not too shy but also interesting and fun to watch for the human and feline clients alike.

In a perfect world I would like this:
1. A 2 year old black marbled angel fish (he is a jerk and is getting picked on in our home tank by the veiled pair he shares a 55 with) so he/she is a must for this new 120.
2. 6 or so basmati rainbows
3. 6 clown loaches (never had clowns but really love to give some a decent home)
4. Hatchets

Aquaadvisor had a heart attack when I input all this. So I realize this will probably not work. I'm willing to take out the hatchets but they don't make much of a difference. The clowns are the bio load kings. First, is 120 planted with sand substrate a decent home for clowns? Or should I forget them all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Clowns are really just one of those fish that don't belong in the hobby. You could just keep them until they get to about 8" or so and then rehome them assuming you can actually find someone with a big enough tank for them. You might also run into problems with big fish uprooting plants like a bull in a china shop.

Clowns are really just one of those fish that don't belong in the hobby. You could just keep them until they get to about 8" or so and then rehome them assuming you can actually find someone with a big enough tank for them. You might also run into problems with big fish uprooting plants like a bull in a china shop.

Thanks for that advice we will leave them out. I'll come up with a better bottom dwelling option.

A massive group of coradoras cats would be sweet...

sit in silence...

I love that idea. Just put it in to aqadvisor and it says coryandras will be too warm in an angel fish tank? Any one have experience with that? My albinos are baby factories so I wouldn't even have to buy any I can just move some of mine over there.

I love that idea. Just put it in to aqadvisor and it says coryandras will be too warm in an angel fish tank? Any one have experience with that? My albinos are baby factories so I wouldn't even have to buy any I can just move some of mine over there.

It depends on the Cory species. Some like warmer and some like colder water. A degree or two isn't going to make much difference though.

Caleb

I would think at 79° both species would be fine...take in mind stability is the key&my 2¢ are exactly just that...

sit in silence...

I'll go the other way!
I think clown loaches would be fine for a 120!
What size tank does someone have to have?
My 11(that are 10-15 years old) have never under my care been in less then a 6 foot tank and NONE or over 6-8" long.
They are great fish.
I have seen the huge clown loaches and very few will ever get that big in home aquaria.
These fish are wild caught so we should prepare for ,but never expect the same results as in the wild!
Lets say they grow to 12"..
How long will that take?
Surely a fish can re homed with a couple of years to work on it?
I keep both cory and clowns in my 180 still today.
With a tank of such volume I would NOT pass up the opportunity to get these guys!

I don't know if I want to worry about trying to find a home for them later though. In a perfect world I want to buy fish that can stay in the tank for the foreseeable future. Plus, they're still too much bio load for that tank--according to the advisor. Thanks for the advice though!

I see you're california. I do servicing out of orange county if you need any one on one saltwater assistance we can keep it going haha :) I work at Coral Collection in Lake Forest also.

If you make the switch to freshwater I like the idea of community. Ton of cardinal tetra is a beautiful sight. I love my neon tetra but they do not school like cardinals.

I see you're california. I do servicing out of orange county if you need any one on one saltwater assistance we can keep it going haha :) I work at Coral Collection in Lake Forest also.

If you make the switch to freshwater I like the idea of community. Ton of cardinal tetra is a beautiful sight. I love my neon tetra but they do not school like cardinals.

You salt water guys are always trying to take me to the dark side! Hahaha. I'm in the IE. The clinic is farther east. They have a guy maintaining the tank now but it's just sad and depressing. We have vision to make it a planted paradise with drift wood and jungle Val. I love the cardinal idea. I don't care for rainbows as much.

You salt water guys are always trying to take me to the dark side! Hahaha. I'm in the IE. The clinic is farther east. They have a guy maintaining the tank now but it's just sad and depressing. We have vision to make it a planted paradise with drift wood and jungle Val. I love the cardinal idea. I don't care for rainbows as much.

A big school of harlequin rasbora is an impressive thing as well. They are a bit hardier than the neons / cardinals as well.

Back
Top Bottom