New 20L planted. Using co2 for the first time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoppaRyno

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've got my diy co2 going and am curious how many bubbles per second and minute is my target range? Any help is greatly appreciated. Happy tanking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its really hard to say. If depends on how much foliage you have in the tank as well as surface agitation and the type of lid you have.

I would try to shoot for maybe 2bps to start and see how it goes.

Do you have a drop checker on the tank?

No drop checker. Lots of value, red melon sword plant, 2 anubis, Tiger Lotus, and red Ludwigia. Ac30 hob, 30" of surface area. Green leaf Aquarium led lights. 1 Pleco, 1 lace synodontis. This is my first venture into co2.

Without a drop checker you will need a fairly accurate reading of your dkh. With that number you can figure out the amount of co2 in your tank by checking the ph.

Looks like I'm 3-4 bubbles per sec right now. I'm using a dual 2 liter bottle, yeast recipe system. Each bottle runs to a brass the connector. T connector runs to a check valve. Which runs to a fluval cheapo bubble counter. Which runs to a fluval diffuser. Not sure abt this diffuser.

CO2_Graph.gif

Looks like I'm 3-4 bubbles per sec right now. I'm using a dual 2 liter bottle, yeast recipe system. Each bottle runs to a brass the connector. T connector runs to a check valve. Which runs to a fluval cheapo bubble counter. Which runs to a fluval diffuser. Not sure abt this diffuser.

Sounds like a good setup.

I liked the fluval defuser when i ran one. I had some issues with the airbline staying connected when i ran a diy paintball pressurized co2 system. But it should work well with diy co2.

The only advice i can really give though is to keep an eye on the ph and compare it to the ph chart i posted. That will give you a decent idea of how well its diffusing for you. Make sure to check it at night periodically too. Its possible that it could gas your fish at night since it runs 24/7 and you might need to run an airstone on a timer to counteract it.

Also, a product i found a few weeks ago that might be worth checking out.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pro-DIY-Co2-G...01-D301-D201-/310893953132?varId=610245633231

It makes co2 by mixing chemicals and its design is a bit more controllable than yeast generated co2

Thanks for the info. This is a small scale test before I go full bore on the 125gl planted. If I was to add an air control valve to it to control the amount of gas flow, would that help with controlling the amount of gas release? Or could it cause a build up and a boom?

Any chance of explaining the drop checker?

Thanks for the info. This is a small scale test before I go full bore on the 125gl planted. If I was to add an air control valve to it to control the amount of gas flow, would that help with controlling the amount of gas release? Or could it cause a build up and a boom?

Pretty sure that would be a messy explosion :D

Also, people generally don't use DIY co2 on anything above around 30g. It starts to use a ton of sugar and takes a lot of work to maintain adequate co2 levels in larger tanks. Most people opt for pressurized at that point. Price wise I believe they are relatively similar over a long period of time at larger tank sizes.

Back
Top Bottom