New 25g planted tank. Need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alkane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

I am setting up a planted tank it is going through the cycle now. I have had some low light planted tanks in the past and currently have a 2.5g in the windowsill that gets natural sun, but besides that I am a plant newb.

I am shooting for a mid-light range. I have a t5HOx4 from an old reef tank. The bulbs are 12k and actinics. I have ordered two 6500k 24w to replace the 12k's. I was going to leave the actinics in just to make to make the fish color stand out. Not sure if this will cause any problems or if I should use 3x6500? The 25 gallon is pretty tall. What would you recommend?>

I will have to go lid-less due to the light fixture which I assume is not a problem.

I am using sand for substrate and will probably have to add flourish tablets? And add liquid fertilizer?

I would prefer to avoid CO2 if possible. If I have to have it I will set up a DIY system.

I've done some reading, but each setup is a little bit different. I'm looking for any advice that may help me get everything balanced. I want my plants to be as healthy as possible without running into an algae explosion. Balancing everything out will be a task, so I decided to ask before just using trial and error.

Thanks, :lol:

Alk

I assume this is the 25g that you're talking about?

In a tank that size, if you're not prepared to do CO2, don't go with T5HOs. You will have some serious light to contend with if you have all four bulbs on. Even with only two, you will still be well into high light. DIY CO2 will probably cover it, but there is still a real possibility of growing a whole mess of algae.

Now, before we get too caught up in the technicals, let's cover the basics. How tall is this tank? What do you want to grow in it? Do you have any specific goals for the tank?

Yes it's 25 gallons and the tank is 20 inches high. As far as goals I am trying to keep everything from South America if possible, not a huge deal if it's not a perfect biotope. I would like very tall plants for the back corners and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (microsword) covering the foreground. Maybe one or two colorful or interesting medium size center piece plants. Driftwood and moss.

As for fish I'm thinking around 10 rummynose tetra, and a pair of german rams or Apistos. Shrimp,snails, and something to agitate the substrate without uprooting the plants.

I have some options with the light. I could only have 2 lights running with the t5HOs, or I can use a dual t5NO with 14 watt 6500k. I would consider pressurized C02 if the cost is in a reasonable range. I'm on a college budget :facepalm:

Thanks again for your help!

25 gallons, 20 inches high

48watts of 6500 t5HO

DIY c02 with bubble counter and drop check

Oriental swords, microsword, various mosses

I'm good to go, yah?

What volume of DIY CO2 are you using? I would probably want to use at least two DIY CO2 containers, depending on what kind of output you're getting, surface aggitation, etc. If one can keep your drop checker at green, you should fine.

Oh, and get a drop checker.

Got a drop checker in the mail.

Was going to start with a 2 liter bottle and monitor with the drop checker. I don't want to over do it and suffocate the fish. Surface agitation is pretty low.

So, I'm just curious.... what happens at night when the plants are putting off c02 and you're pumping c02 in the tank.

Wouldn't this throw the pH down?

Should I put a air stone on a timer for the night?

Some people do that. The impact varies from tank to tank, so YMMV. I would think that if you started with one 2L it wouldn't be an issue, but you might keep an eye on it the first night.

Will do, thanks. Ill check the ph and 02 levels in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom