New 26 gallon planted tank, need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icd1227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up a new 26 gallon bowfront in a week. Plan to have two angel fish and transfer in a few other fish from my other tank. I have very high lighting for it. It will be dirted with a gravel cap. I want amazon swords as the focal point, a floating plant of some sort and some moss balls, any suggestions for plants, specifically floating or to line the back of the tank. Give me some ideas please.

First off a 26 gallon just isn't big enough for angelfish unless your planning to get a much larger tank within about a year. Also you will only want to plant 1 Amazon Sword as they get very large. It may seem small to start but they get big fast and take up alot of room. There are also alot of tall plants but what exactly is the lighting your using ? T5HO's, T8's, ??? Plants would be Water sprite, Wisteria, any stem plants such as Ambulia (my favorite), Anarachis, Temple, Cabomba, just to name a few. You can also float water sprite or most stem plants if you want but in a tank that small I don't think I'd float any. You will also need root tabs even with a dirted tank (I have a 220g dirted tank) especially for Swords and Crypts. Another nice plant that will add color and grows very good sized are Red Tiger Lotus. Crypts make good mid to forground plants and don't require high light. You'll need to get either a liquid fertilizer such as Flourish Comprehensive to dose weekly after WC's or if you really do have high light and alot of plants dry fertilizers might be in order. Also with high light tanks you need to consider using a liquid carbon such as Excel or doing CO2, either DIY or Pressurized.

Thanks for the input, I have two T5HO lights, so the tank will have alot of light. I intend to have a lot of plants so I suppose il need to add nutrients to the tank? As far as I have researched Ive heard that 26 gallons is okay for two angels. But I've never had them so il consider different fish.

You can check out my 26g bow front i just started. I do have angels but they're juvies and a temporary resident until they outgrow the tank. I'm running moderate-high LED lighting with co2 supplementation. Substrate is floramax and i embedded flourish root tabs. My plants are doing well..

Link is in my signature :)

Back
Top Bottom