New 55 gallon planted tank advice needed please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botanica

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. So I finished painting the "stand" for my 55 gallon tank today and I'm about to bring it in and begin setup. I plan to take my time and do this right...carefull decisions. I have a idea of a design in mind for the aquascape...but I'm a bit intimidated by dirt. I plan to use pfs but would like to know a little more about weather or not to put dirt under my sand and if I add anything else under the dirt. I plan to keep angelfish, aspitos or rams, rummynose and cardinals, and maybe some rasboras...depends on what will fit. I am also entertaining the idea of discus with angels...advice is always welcome!! Thanks!

Hey that sounds like a fun new setup. I have yet to use dirt in any tank so I can't help you out in those areas but are you essentially saying you are capping the dirt with sand?

DTurner said:
Hey that sounds like a fun new setup. I have yet to use dirt in any tank so I can't help you out in those areas but are you essentially saying you are capping the dirt with sand?

Yeah...I think so. I've been looking at aquascapes online that are blowing my mind. I've been a floral designer and gardener for years and just love the idea of the challenge to recreate what's in my head...we will have to see how it translates into a fish tank. I'm also hoping to get all of the hard scape for it from my yard. We just pulled out a Modesto Ash stump and I've chosen some roots to hopefully use and I found a stash of really cool petrified wood in my flower bed I'm thinking of using for my rock. I also have lots of quartz and other cool rocks I've collected over the years...jade and amber and such. I have to give them all the vinegar test to be sure they are safe.

So...no advice on weather or not I should use dirt...do I need co2? Any good links to help me understand co2?...lol...I'm kinda clueless on that one...

I need to set up and start cycling this weekend...so decisions are in my near future. ;-). Also...my lighting is double bright led's...2x24" fixtures...but the tank will get bright indirect natural light most of the day. I have no idea if tat will help or just grow algae. And information would be awesome!! Thanks everyone. :-D

So...no advice on weather or not I should use dirt...do I need co2? Any good links to help me understand co2?...lol...I'm kinda clueless on that one...

I need to set up and start cycling this weekend...so decisions are in my near future. ;-). Also...my lighting is double bright led's...2x24" fixtures...but the tank will get bright indirect natural light most of the day. I have no idea if tat will help or just grow algae. And information would be awesome!! Thanks everyone. :-D

I would avoid doing dirt in your first planted setup. It does grow plants very well, but it also can be a huge pain if you decide to move things around or end up having fish that like to dig. I suggest to go with a high cec 'planted' substrate like ecocomplete, floramax, soilmaster select, turface, or oil dri. They are all pretty similar in function, but we can go more into detail if you settle on a particular one.

As far as Co2 goes, here's a good article on it.
CO2 | Rex's CO2 For The Planted Tank
Your basic options are to go either DIY co2, pressurized co2, or you can also dose glutaraldehyde like flourish excel, which serves as a co2 supplement. It's nowhere near as effective as the first 2 options though.

Pressurized co2 is the best, but it does have a significant investment cost, a basic 5lb tank with a co2 regulator setup will run you around $200 give or take. The nice thing about this setup though is it is much easier to have a steady control over the rate of co2 going into the tank, and there's no fiddling with yeast mixtures and whatnot.

The DIY Co2 route does work on smaller tanks, I would only do it on a 29 or smaller personally. In the past when I've used them, I had issues getting a steady bubble stream because the yeast production fluctuated with the room temperature.

jetajockey said:
I would avoid doing dirt in your first planted setup. It does grow plants very well, but it also can be a huge pain if you decide to move things around or end up having fish that like to dig. I suggest to go with a high cec 'planted' substrate like ecocomplete, floramax, soilmaster select, turface, or oil dri. They are all pretty similar in function, but we can go more into detail if you settle on a particular one.

As far as Co2 goes, here's a good article on it.
CO2 | Rex's CO2 For The Planted Tank
Your basic options are to go either DIY co2, pressurized co2, or you can also dose glutaraldehyde like flourish excel, which serves as a co2 supplement. It's nowhere near as effective as the first 2 options though.

Pressurized co2 is the best, but it does have a significant investment cost, a basic 5lb tank with a co2 regulator setup will run you around $200 give or take. The nice thing about this setup though is it is much easier to have a steady control over the rate of co2 going into the tank, and there's no fiddling with yeast mixtures and whatnot.

The DIY Co2 route does work on smaller tanks, I would only do it on a 29 or smaller personally. In the past when I've used them, I had issues getting a steady bubble stream because the yeast production fluctuated with the room temperature.

Wow...that was an awesome link. I think I just read that whole website...lol...but I feel smarter! Thank you!! :-D. I have a bit of direction now at least.

Another question...with my lighting I have 1200 lumens of 6000*k...I've read a bit to see if I can figure it out...but I'd like an educated opinion I think...:)

Thanks again.

For lighting, have a look at this page. It's not exact but it will help give you an idea of what you are working with.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

The PAR ratings for different fixtures types and brands are put on graphs and as you'll see one of the biggest factors in how much PAR your fixture will have is how high it is off of the substrate level.

I used fluval stratum to for substrate and I love the stuff. It is fairly light but great to plant. For lighting the average to go by is 3-4 watts per gallon at 6000k but since you are doing LED's I would be curious how well they work I almost did pick up an LED fixture for my 20 gallon high tech tank but decided to go with 70 watts HOT5.

For CO2 I personally wouldn't do a DIY setup. I have a pressurized CO2 system which is great you can find them all over but the mistake I made was not getting one with a solenoid because I have to manually turn it on and off. I have recently started using Flurish Excel as a liquid fertilizer. This works great you just have to dose daily.

My advice is just what I have learned over the past year. I agree with the rest that dirt is not the way to go for a planted tank. I am sorry I don't have any links.

DTurner said:
I used fluval stratum to for substrate and I love the stuff. It is fairly light but great to plant. For lighting the average to go by is 3-4 watts per gallon at 6000k but since you are doing LED's I would be curious how well they work I almost did pick up an LED fixture for my 20 gallon high tech tank but decided to go with 70 watts HOT5.

For CO2 I personally wouldn't do a DIY setup. I have a pressurized CO2 system which is great you can find them all over but the mistake I made was not getting one with a solenoid because I have to manually turn it on and off. I have recently started using Flurish Excel as a liquid fertilizer. This works great you just have to dose daily.

My advice is just what I have learned over the past year. I agree with the rest that dirt is not the way to go for a planted tank. I am sorry I don't have any links.

Thank you so much for the input! I really appreciate every experience that can be shared with me...I hate feeling so clueless. ;-). Have you used flourish excel? I'm a little intimidated by the co2... But the real issue is funding...lol. I will get one as soon as I can...but I want a good one and will wait until I can get what I really need. I'm still wondering what effect the indirect sunlight will have if any...

Hey,

The indirect sunlight may have an adverse effect on your tank. It will promote algea growth. Many people suggest putting the fish tank where there is little natural sunlight. I have just purchased some Flourish Excel and it came in yesterday. I am going to start dosing it tonight. I will let you know how it works. From what i know though many people use that instead of pressurized co2 with great success. I have heard nothing bad from it plus it is extremely inexpensive. A $10 bottle will last you at least a month for a 55 gallon tank.

jetajockey said:
For lighting, have a look at this page. It's not exact but it will help give you an idea of what you are working with.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

The PAR ratings for different fixtures types and brands are put on graphs and as you'll see one of the biggest factors in how much PAR your fixture will have is how high it is off of the substrate level.

Answered all of my questions about my lights...thank you! :)

DTurner said:
Hey,

The indirect sunlight may have an adverse effect on your tank. It will promote algea growth. Many people suggest putting the fish tank where there is little natural sunlight. I have just purchased some Flourish Excel and it came in yesterday. I am going to start dosing it tonight. I will let you know how it works. From what i know though many people use that instead of pressurized co2 with great success. I have heard nothing bad from it plus it is extremely inexpensive. A $10 bottle will last you at least a month for a 55 gallon tank.

I was worried about algae...figuring I would need some kind of co2 because of it. I was just talking with my husband about Flourish Excel...I think we are going to give it a try on his 135 right away. Let me know what you think. :)

Hey, CO2 will not battle algae growth actually too much may enhance algae growth. So take particular notice to changes in the water. I just started using the seachem products yesterday. I started dosing Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel. I will post a picture when I get home but I think there will be a quick noticeable difference within a week.

DTurner said:
Hey, CO2 will not battle algae growth actually too much may enhance algae growth. So take particular notice to changes in the water. I just started using the seachem products yesterday. I started dosing Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel. I will post a picture when I get home but I think there will be a quick noticeable difference within a week.

That would be great...I'd love to know how it goes. I'm not sure if ill get to setup this weekend...fingers crossed...lots to do.

Hi everyone! :). I got the tank up and running...finally!

I decided to go with the Eco-Complete...just in case the bacteria that came in it might help...lol. Plus that I must admit the no rinse required swayed me a bit...hehehe. My lfs only had it in the red clay color, but is capped it with pool filter sand anyway. The sand ended up being more grayish than I like...but I hope not to see much of the sand for long. I have learned recently (thanks to help from you guys) that I have a low lighting situation...so I will plant accordingly. I really love my LED lights...pretty...so I think I'll cope with what I have. The room is super bright all day with a skylight in the middle of the 8x10 room that will be my fish room...I know...not genius but gotta work with what you have. ;-). Plant suggestions welcome!! Making lists and shopping around.....

Attachments

• image-2180850572.jpg
    image-2180850572.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1182980676.jpg
    image-1182980676.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom