new 55 gallon tank - what qualifies as low light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DallasFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All -

I'm setting up a new 55 gallon tank and want to go with live plants this time. I'd like to keep it simple to start, w/out special substrates or CO2. I'm considering changing out the two low-light fixtures that came with the tank for two 55W CFs (this kit), giving me 110W total.

If my math is right that gives me 2WPG. Does this still qualify as low light (e.g., java ferns, anubis, etc)? Or have i moved into the need-CO2-substrate-ferts range?

Thank you!

I think you'll be fine. I've got a similar amount of light on my 55, although I got there a different way (I have 2 96watt CFs but they have 50:50 bulbs so I have about 110-120 effective watts). I can grow almost anything except really high light plants and carpet plants. I do use eco complete so I can't comment on the gravel, but it should be fine. As far as CO2, I have it on the tank but am usually lax about changing the bottles and I haven't noticed much difference, certainly not like I did when I was at the full 192 watts. I do add some liquid ferts for the stem plants and root tabs are a must for swords and crypts even with the eco. But they are pretty easy and only need to be done every couple of months. Java fern and Anubias don't need much to thrive, and don't grow into the substrate anyway.

You should have a nice solid Medium Light aquarium. It will give you lots of plant options while still remaining fairly low maintenance. CO2 should still be just optional at that level.

Back
Top Bottom