New 55gal planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I had received a free 10 gal tank, decided to make it a planted aquarium, & it turned out so well that my family has decided to get me the stuff for a 55gal tank in the living room! They want it planted & a community tank. Since I am still very new to planted tanks, I was curious if you guys could recommend some good fast growing plants. I will be getting some good pieces of driftwood, & rocks.. Also I'd like to know what fish you guys think would suit it, my brother & mom like angelfish, I like some of the rams.. But either works.. I'm not sure what could go with them, or if they could even go together.. As my main tank is a African Cichlid tank. (& Livebearers years ago)
Thanks so much for your responses!

Cabomba and ludwigia grows fast. Angels and rams work together. A nice school of tetras can also.

boadams87 said:
Cabomba and ludwigia grows fast. Angels and rams work together. A nice school of tetras can also.

How many of each? & like cardinal tetras? What about some sort of loach?

You should do a school of at least 6. You can also do Rummy nose tetra's. For another tetra school with a different body shape Diamond and Lemon Tetra's are good for Angel tanks. Pictures of Diamond tetras do not do them justice. In stores they are washed out. When in a tank and settled they have irridescant colored scales that glitter like diamonds under the light, very pretty. I have a school of 13 and the older they get the better their coloring gets. Loaches, you could do something like 3 yo-yo loaches, or a school of Kuhli loaches. Stay away from clown loaches as they get very big. Cory cats for the bottom is also good. For upper level/surface swimmers you can do something like Hatchet fish or Threadfin Rainbow fish.

If I were you I'd get 6 Congo tetras 10 cardinal tetras 10 rummy nose tetras the color and schooling of these fish will definitely grab attention and an angel fish or two along with corys of your choice and ottos

Thanks soo much for those replies! I can't wait, I love clown loaches never been able to get them, as my tanks have never been big enough, but I do love the kuhli loaches too! I would do a pair of Angels & maybe a pair of rams along with the tetras, loaches & ottos, I don't care to much for the corys, but I know they do a good job.. Also, the 10 gallon tank I have is just seachem flourite, So I'll have to do research on the dirt capped with sand, sounds interesting! Thanks again guys.. One last question, would the Rams be okay in that tank, or would I only want angels? & if so what are some good looking rams? Thanks!

Also we are gonna start with just the tank, so filter, light wise, what are some inexpensive good options to choose from. :) thanks.

Angels and rams do fine together. I have 10 angels and 11 rams in a 220g planted. Regular German Blue rams are the hardiest, and so are Bolivian Rams, but my favorite is the Gold Rams. I have GBR's, Gold Rams, and Electric Blue Rams. Get them from a place in FL that breeds them and will send pairs.

As for filters I have Fluval 406's on the 55's. You can go cheaper with earlier models 404's or 405's but the improved 406 is much better. With these there is plenty of water flow and you have compartments that you can put various kinds of media in, which is way nicer than HOB filters. Lights will depend of if you are going with just a fish only tank or planted.

I'll definitely check out the rams then. & I will be doing a planted tank with fish.. Low tech plants no co2. Also would a hob filter.. Be just as good? Family probably won't spend a lit on canisters.. Even though I'll be maintaining it. :p

Just get a large HOB filter and it will work. I just like cansiters because they give me more options for media. Having plants will help alot. Right now none of my tanks have CO2, even the big 220g. I do however use glutaraldehyde (the active ingredient of Excel) and is alot cheaper. When you get the tank set up you will find using a liquid carbon will help with plant growth alot. Plus if you do a dirted tank you will be starting out with a nutrient rich substrate which will also make plant growth really good. The only thing with a dirted tank is that you need to plant it heavily from the start, and with some nutrient absorbing plants like water sprite, wisteria and others.

Rivercats said:
Just get a large HOB filter and it will work. I just like cansiters because they give me more options for media. Having plants will help alot. Right now none of my tanks have CO2, even the big 220g. I do however use glutaraldehyde (the active ingredient of Excel) and is alot cheaper. When you get the tank set up you will find using a liquid carbon will help with plant growth alot. Plus if you do a dirted tank you will be starting out with a nutrient rich substrate which will also make plant growth really good. The only thing with a dirted tank is that you need to plant it heavily from the start, and with some nutrient absorbing plants like water sprite, wisteria and others.

Yeah, I like canisters better too, but they can be expensive the higher you go up.. & okay.. So when I get my substrate, I need to have
It heavily planted how soon after.. & idk if I'll use co2, unless it's a liquid fert.

Liquid carbon is different than fertilizers. I actually buy a gallon at a time of Metricide 14 on-line for about $21 dollars and mix it 50% M14 to 50% RO water. That is really cheap cheap, two gallons of glutaraldehyde (same as Excel) for alot less $$. Plus on a tank that small I can't imagine how long it would last. Plants use liquid carbon during photosynthesis which will give you better plant growth.

Rivercats said:
Liquid carbon is different than fertilizers. I actually buy a gallon at a time of Metricide 14 on-line for about $21 dollars and mix it 50% M14 to 50% RO water. That is really cheap cheap, two gallons of glutaraldehyde (same as Excel) for alot less $$. Plus on a tank that small I can't imagine how long it would last. Plants use liquid carbon during photosynthesis which will give you better plant growth.

Okay.. I see now.. I'm thinking a marineland350 or 400 as filtration.. & do you think I should try the walstad method?

I've never done a true Walstad tank. I do Just Natural Organic Potting Soil 1cu ft bags from Lowes, topped with Eco-complete. Plus I do higher lights, liquid carbon, and ferts, which I don't think is done in the Walstad method. You'd have to read up on it or see if anyone on here has ever done a tank that way.

Rivercats said:
I've never done a true Walstad tank. I do Just Natural Organic Potting Soil 1cu ft bags from Lowes, topped with Eco-complete. Plus I do higher lights, liquid carbon, and ferts, which I don't think is done in the Walstad method. You'd have to read up on it or see if anyone on here has ever done a tank that way.

Okay, how would one of those filters work? & also im thinkin of getting the zoomed aquarium light fixtures, that hold 2 t5 HO bulbs, would those work?

I've never used those filters, the only HOB filters I have experience with are Fluval HOB. Maybe someone else has used them. For lights 2 T5HO's will grow just about anything.

Rivercats said:
I've never used those filters, the only HOB filters I have experience with are Fluval HOB. Maybe someone else has used them. For lights 2 T5HO's will grow just about anything.

Cool, & they are rates for at least 6 times the filtration.. & cool those are the lights I'll settle with.. :)

Back
Top Bottom